Chapter 8

The next morning I awoke with a pounding headache. I took two aspirin and washed it down with a full bottle of water. Sarah was still sound asleep. I left two aspirin and a bottle of water on her bedside table.

My parents arrived at 9 and helped me pack up my stuff and load it into their SUV. The day was painfully bright. Sarah awoke as we were finishing and we hugged goodbye. I didn't want to bring up last night's kiss in front of them, but she would certainly hear about it the next time we were together. We were set to be roommates again next year and she promised to keep my side of the room clear until I arrived.

After a full day of packing, carrying, driving, carrying, and unpacking, I finally made it to the end of the day.

I heard a knock at the door. Looking out the window I saw a car backing out of the driveway. I went to the front door and opened it.

"Hey," said Jay, walking in. He was wearing his pack and had his hands full.

"Hey."

He looked me over. "Have fun last night?" he asked, smirking.

"Ready for five months of sobriety, believe me."

He set down his stuff and handed me an Army blanket. I took it and held it up to my face to feel it, as well as covertly smell it.

"It's clean, I washed it," he said, watching me.

"Thanks," I replied sheepishly.

"Here's your sleeping pad," he said, handing it to me. "And I found the tent you picked out."

"Thanks. What do I owe you?"

"Don't worry about it."

"Don't worry about it? That tent was expensive! We said split expenses."

"I know, but it's not like we can cut the tent in half at the end of this. One of us had to buy it. And the pad was only thirty-five bucks. Look, it's not going to be possible to make everything perfectly fair and even. Not unless we have separate food supplies, and haul around two separate jars of peanut butter and everything else just so everything is exact. I bet I eat a fair amount more than you, so I'm ok starting a little bit in the hole."

I looked at him skeptically. I didn't really want him paying for my things.

"If you really want to make it even, you can pay your Mom back for all the stuff you've swiped from her."

"Shhh!" I whispered to him, smiling. "What she doesn't know won't hurt her. She's got such a big pantry she won't even notice. What else are Moms for?"

As I looked at him the smile left his face. He returned to straight business, organizing and dividing the various items between our packs.

"I think we're all set kid," he said, as he zippered his bag.

Mom called out from the kitchen, "Emily, would you come help with the potatoes?"

I watched Jay enter the living room and sink into the end of the floral-print sofa, next to my Dad in his brown leather recliner. I looked back him, trying to give him a look to convey "behave", and then followed Mom into the kitchen.

"I thought we'd do twice baked, since you're going away," Mom said with a smile.

"Ok, I'll mash them," I replied, and set to work.

"Oh, honey, I'm going to miss you so much. I'm going to be so worried," she stated sadly.

"Mom, I'll be fine. I was away at school all last year," I countered.