you're not alone

(Your POV)

"WELL FINE! IF YOU REALLY FEEL THAT WAY THEN DON'T EVER TALK TO ME AGAIN!" I scream into my phone before hanging up and throwing the device into the corner.

As soon as my phone hits the floor with a loud thud, the river of tears I had been holding back suddenly comes pouring out. Loud sobs escape my mouth and I sink to the floor, my entire body wracking. I draw my knees to my chest and rock myself back and forth, allowing the salty tears to roll down my cheeks.

I can't believe this is happening, I think to myself.

My best friend, Y/B/F, had been acting weird for a while now. Whenever I tried to ask her what was wrong, she brushed me off and pretended that she was fine. But she wasn't fine. I've known her for years, I can tell when something is bothering her.

Today I finally figured out what has been going on. For the past 4 months, Y/B/F has been dating a guy she works with. When I confronted her about it, she told me she never wanted me to know. She told me that she didn't want to introduce him to me because I'd just scare him off, that I'm the reason why no guy ever stays with her.

One thing led to another, and after fighting with her for hours on the phone, the call finally ended with obscene name-calling and curses.

And now I've just lost my best friend in the entire world.

As I sob on my kitchen floor, I can't help but think how that last five years with Y/B/F has been one huge lie. She never really wanted to be my friend. She never trusted me or cared for me the way I did for her. I was living in a fantasy, and tonight I was snapped back to reality.

After I cry on the floor for what seems like hours, I stand up and drudge my way to my bedroom. I fall onto my bed and wrap myself up in the covers, not even bothering to change into my pajamas. My tears soak my pillow, leaving a black mascara stain on the white fabric. I don't care though. The pillowcase is the least of my worries right now.

They say best friend breakups are worse than actual breakups. But I never thought it would be this hard to let such an important person in my life go. I never thought it would hurt this much.

Eventually I fall asleep, exhausted from all the crying. But I find no relief in my sleep. All I can dream about is Y/B/F, our fight replaying like a movie as I rest. It feels so real, like I'm actually reliving it.

A pair of warm hands around my waist wakes me up from my nightmare. When I turn around, I see Timothée sitting next to me in the bed. He looks down at me with sad eyes, and when he sees the red rings and dark circles around my eyes, he starts to look concerned.

"Baby, what's wrong?" Timothée asks. But as soon as I hear his voice, the only thing I can do is cry.

I sit up and wrap my arms around him, sobbing into his chest and soaking his shirt. Timothée doesn't say anything, just holds me tight and rubs soothing circles on my back. He plants soft kisses on the top of my head every once in a while, too.

When I'm finally done crying, I slowly peel away and look up at Timothée with glossy eyes.

"Do you want to tell me what happened?" Timothée asks.

I nod slowly and tell him all about what happened with Y/B/F. A few salty tears escape as I tell Timothée all of the things she said about me and the names she called me. Timothée listens intently, never taking his beautiful eyes off of me.

When I'm finished, he waits for a moment before speaking.

"Y/N, I can't even begin to fathom what it's like to lose a best friend that way. I know nothing I say can make it better or make any of the pain you're feeling go away. But I want you to know this," Timothée begins, softly raising my chin so I'm looking him directly in the eyes.

"You are the most amazing person on this planet. You really are. You're kind and caring and selfless, always putting other people above yourself. You're one of the funniest people I know and you always know how to cheer someone up. You're smart and driven and determined, too. You don't deserve the pain of surrounding yourself with people who can't see all of that about you. If Y/B/F can't see all of the amazing things about you, then she can go fuck off. She doesn't deserve you. She isn't even close to deserving you. You are worthy of every beautiful thing in this world. You should have all the happiness life had to offer. Don't waste your time and energy on people who don't realize that."

I look at Timothée with wide eyes. I can't stop the small smile from forming on my lips.

"Do you really mean that?" I ask.

"Of course I do. I meant every word," Timothée responds.

I lean my head forward and place a gentle kiss on Timothée's soft lips. He kisses me back, his hand instinctively reaching for my face to hold me closer. For the few seconds we are kissing, it feels as though the rest of the world disappears, my only worry being that I don't want him to stop kissing me.

When we pull apart, I rest my forehead on Timothée's and look into his impossibly blue eyes.

"I love you Timothée," I whisper. "So much. Thank you for being here for me. For comforting me."

"Don't thank me. I can't stand seeing you this upset."

"How did you know to come, anyways," I ask, thinking back to last night. I was alone in my apartment and never texted or called him to let him know what was going on.

"I called you a few times last night but you never answered. I assumed you were already asleep, though. But when I called you again this morning and you still didn't answer, I thought something might be wrong. So I came here to cheer you up. Which reminds me..."

Timothée gets up out of bed, releasing my hand from his. He leaves the room for a moment and returns with a bright pink box.

"What's that?" I ask curiously.

"Donuts," Timothée says, listing the top and revealing a dozen brightly frosted donuts.

"Oh my gosh, this is exactly what I need right now," I say, practically drooling at the sight. I realize I haven't eaten since lunch yesterday, skipping dinner since I was in the middle of a fight.

Timothée smiles goofily and gets back into bed, offering me a chocolate frosted donut with sprinkles. We spend the rest of the day together, eating junk food and starting to heal my emotional wounds.

I just lost one of my best friends. It's going to take a long time to heal what was broken during our fight. But I know that I can get through this, because Timothée is right beside me. I'm not alone.

***

hi everyone! hope you enjoy this imagine! it's a little different than the ones i usually do, but lmk what you think!

i really hope none of you have had to go through a best friend break up. they are the absolute worst, but just know that you are so amazing and are truly worthy of every joy life has to offer. don't let someone bring you down — if they weren't meant to be in your life, you'll only become stronger. i'm here if you ever need someone to rant to <3

anyways, i please like, share, and follow me if you liked this imagine!

stay safe and healthy <3

much love, lyra <3