Chapter 57

I gulped as I reached for Gaara. I shook his shoulder a little.

"Gaara?" I whispered.

I moved my hands to his torso and tried to find where he is injured. No, I was lying to myself. I was trying to believe that he was still alive. I felt my tears roll down my cheeks. I moved my chakra around his body ,trying to find a way to bring him back—anything, when I clearly know it was no use. I won't let you die. No more. Tou-san died in front of me. Haku died in front of me. Not you too, please. Wake up! I love you, Gaara! Wake up! I prayed as I cried pathetically in public.

"Wake up.." I whispered.

Daddy kneeled next to me to embrace me.

"Sakura, he is dead." He said softly.

"No, he isn't. He is still alive. I know it." I muttered weakly.

He grabbed my shoulders and forced me to look at him.

"He is dead! I know how you feel, please don't be like this.." He said with sadness in his eyes.

"T-There has to be a way.. There has to!" I quickly said and wiped my tears away.

"There is a way to bring him back to life, but I will need more chakra." Chiyo Baa-san suddenly spoke.

I looked at her with hope and determination in my eyes. "Use mine. Every drop of it if you must!"

"Put your hands on top of me." She ordered. I obliged and placed my hands on her old ones.

A bright green glowed around our hands. I could feel her chakra and her.. life force?!

"Chiyo Baa-san!" I called. Horror obvious in my eyes.

"Don't waste your tears, Sakura. I'm already very old. It is my wish to help the new generations, please help me fulfil my wish." She said with a smile.

"N-No.. You can't." Tears slid down my already tear stained cheeks.

"I don't have many days left, it will be nice to give my life to those who have a bright future to live." She said.

"Chiyo Baa-san.."

"Let's work together for the last time, Sakura-chan." She smiled warmly. I return her smile and nodded sadly, but understanding.

It took us some time to do it. While we were at it, we were surrounded by ninjas from Suna. Two girls ran at us and shouted,"Gaara-kun!" Before they could come near us, Temari blocked them.

In such a short time in your village, you already have fangirls.. I chuckled.

"It's done." Chiyo Baa-san weakly said.

I caught her before she fall and carried her a few feet away from Gaara's body. With her last breath, she said,"Follow your heart before it's too late." I blushed knowing what she must meant. She noticed..

"Chiyo Baa-san.." I smiled. She smiled at me and slowly closed her eyes.

I hugged her tighter and let my tears flow. Daddy kneeled behind me and squeezed my shoulders before he gave me a peck on my temple. He pat my shoulders and left me with her.

After a few moments, Gaara woke up.

"Gaara-kun!" The two fangirls yelled and tried to reach him, but Temari held them back.

He looked around cluelessly and saw me holding lifeless body on an elder.

"Sakura?" He called.

I smiled sadly at him with my eyes swollen. "You woke up."

"What..happened..?" He asked.

"She used every drop of her chakra and her life force to bring you back." I said softly looking at the peaceful face of the lifeless body.

Gaara stood up and walked over to me.

"May we pray for Lady Chiyo to rest in peace." He said with a sense of leadership laced in his voice.

Everyone closed their eyes and prayed silently. I could feel a pair of strong arms wrapped around me and Chiyo Baa-san. I opened my eyes and saw Gaara. He kissed my tears away and gave me a small smile.

"Glad you are alive." I gently smiled. He nodded.

"Let's give her a proper burial." He said and stood up to carry her.

"Yeah." I said and got up with the help from dad. "I'm sorry, dad."

"Nothing to worry about." He said.

Published: December 2014
Edited: 6th February 2017