Chapter 17: Expectations

Bắt đầu từ đầu

"Lemon meringue, you're favorite," Grandpa Holling said as he cut a piece for Lindsey.

"Yum!" Lindsey said as Grandpa Holling placed her piece in front of her. Lindsey took a bite before moaning. It was better than she remembered.

"Well now why don't we talk?" Grandma Holling said. "We wanted to talk to you about what you're going to do after you graduate."

"Oh! Well I haven't really thought about it," Lindsey said. "I guess I should start thinking about where to go to school and what for."

"Well we're already talking to the Board at Gotham University," Grandpa Holling said. "They're always willing to have the Elite join the attendance of the students. You will always have a place at Gotham University."

"That's nice, but I don't know if I'll stay in Gotham," Lindsey said. "I know that Damian and I have already talked about going to the same college. I was thinking about going to New York for college."

"But why would you want to go back to New York?" Grandma Holling asked. "Surely you have better friends here, you have Damian, and your Grandfather and I are here. Gotham University is an amazing school. And it is one of the best schools for business in the country. It would make the most sense."

"Business? Why would I study business?" Lindsey asked. "I don't know what I want to study, yet."

"You're going to take over the company when we retire," Grandpa Holling said. "We're getting old Lindsey. We want to spend our last days in comfort and not running a company. So you're going to take over the company. To do so, you're going to have to know how to run a million-dollar business. It only makes sense that you study business."

"Why would I take over Holling Oil?" Lindsey asked. "It's not something I want to do."

"You are obligated as our only granddaughter," Grandma Holling said. "With Hailey past away, you are the only choice we have to keep the company in the family."

"I don't want it," Lindsey said. "Give it to one of the people on the board. I don't want a company. I don't want that responsibility."

"It doesn't matter what you want," Grandpa Holling said. "You are obligated by our only heir to inherit the company. This is why you came to Gotham, isn't it?"

"No, it's not," Lindsey said. "The only reason I came here was because this is where my parents wanted me to be. They left me in your care so you could support me until I turn eighteen."

"And we will support you until you take over the company," Grandma Holling said. "That way we know you will be able to support yourself. We don't want you to end up like your mother, working to help support your spouse and child. Not that you will need to support Damian, he's wealthy enough to support you and your future children."

"What does Damian have to do with any of this?" Lindsey asked. "We may not even stay together that long. Let alone have children together."

"Ever since the two of got together, so many companies have been making contracts with us," Grandpa Holling said. "And we have a contract with Wayne Enterprises that will be coming to fruition soon. You're relationship is good for business."

"Is everything you do a business deal? Does everything you do have to do with your damn company?" Lindsey said getting angry.

"You don't need to talk like that, Lindsey," Grandma Holling said. "We're only trying to look out for your future."

"A future that I don't want," Lindsey said. "I only want to live my life."

"And we want to help," Grandma Holling said.