Chapter 12

The small vehicle raced through the tunnels, riding the sides and making sharp turns. The queen gripped the steering wheel and gritted her teeth.

"She drives just like her," Runan leaned over to whisper, legs shaking and grin on his lips.

Ernesito's fate still haunted her, interspersed with questions about how this was possible. Another option she wouldn't tell Runan yet was the queen stole his sister's memories and integrated them so well in her mind she seemed authentic. Bringing in her brother could be the ultimate way to test her success. She closed her eyes and pictured a river, calm and transparent.

"Are you okay, Sola?" he asked.

When she shook her head, his cuffed hands found hers. As much as his touch comforted her, it also led her to make selfish decisions like using Ernesito's talent without considering his wellbeing. Mr. Benito wouldn't have lied to her about Nesito's possible recovery, would he?

"Almost there. Prepare your explanations well, thieves. Liars don't stand in my kingdom. They free-fall."

Light poured in ahead. Seconds later, the car bounded out of the tunnel and onto a rocky mountainside ledge, winding along the cliffs. The vehicle jerked to a stop, then reversed into a hidden nook. They squeezed out of the door and followed the mountain path.

"Stay quiet," the queen commanded.

Runan stuck by Solara's side as if she were a wounded bird. As an itch settled on her flesh, she distanced herself on the narrow trail. They free climbed a rock face as they did as kids, practicing to reach Upper Caldozza. When they arrived at a wide ledge, the queen smiled. She undid their cuffs and gazed out at the sweeping, sunlit land below. "I'm surprised Ju'rah isn't with you."

Runan swallowed her small body in a hug. "Ita! You're alive." He ran his hands over her hair and stared into her eyes despite the obvious differences in their appearance. The queen had thin, hardened features, dramatic brows, colder eyes and thin lips. "Deep down, part of me knew you couldn't really be gone. But your body... your head." He stroked the side of hers, inspecting it. "I can't believe you're back!" He beamed like he had before his parents died.

The queen grinned and hugged him again. "It's good to see you too, Ru."

"Good doesn't cover it. This is like the dreams where we'd wake up to mom and dad getting up to farm, telling us their death was just a long, terrible nightmare. There are so many things I need to make up to you."

Tears formed in her eyes. "Later, Ru, we have more pressing matters. Was Ju'rah with you?"    

Runan met Solara's eyes as if pleading with her. He was so starved to have his sister back, he'd tell the woman anything whether it would get them in trouble or endanger Ju'rah or not. Solara shook her head. "He was too drunk to check on the break-in with us. We let him sleep it off."

The queen picked at her fingernails. "Three of you were apprehended."

"My ex was there too when we heard the alarm."

Silence settled over them until the queen's meek voice broke it. "Did Ju'rah think I died?"

"We all did, Ita," Runan spoke in a soft tone.

She pushed her hair away from the mass on her forehead. "I needed to bring you here without drawing suspicion to my altered state. I'll get Ju'rah to Upper-Caldozza somehow." She surveyed the Caldozzan plains with the hawk eyes Messita used when she schemed.