Chapter 4

In Solara's office, Runan leaned forward on his elbows across from Ju'rah on the opposite couch. "Is there more to my sister's death than you told me?"

Ju'rah's eyes travelled to the corners of the room before they settled on Runan. "I was there. She froze, wouldn't respond to anything we did or said. It cost her life."

"Why would she freeze?"

Ju'rah shrugged. "Maybe the extractions wiped her brain."

Runan straightened his sore back. "If they did, the risks need to be shared. We can't let those greedy leeches hide this."

With a shake of his head, Ju'rah gripped the couch cushions. "Even if Mem-Stem doesn't buy or intimidate you into silence, it won't stop anyone. There's one road out of Lower-Caldozza, and that's the price."

"I've never understood the need to escape it. Why would people want to live with greedy Uppers who take the best of our food, our products, and experiences?" Runan had a home and way to make a living, though it became harder each year.

"They're stronger, smarter, and more advanced than we are. That's why they won the plateau in the Great Wars. People want to be like them and have what they have."

All Runan could picture was his sister's crumpled body in the boat. An empty shell compared to the vibrant, ambitious woman she was. He grew warm and his body vibrated with energy. "Look at the price Ita paid for trying!"  

As Solara sat next to him on the loveseat, her heat drifted to Runan. "If we could see what happened, we would have the clearest idea of what impacted Messita."

The creator's eyes shifted around the room, landing on the door, and his sandals tapped against the floor. "You can try, but Mem-Stem is protective of their property. I signed a five-year contract after getting chipped. I'll be blacklisted from the profession if anyone else has a copy of my memories." 

She ran a hand through her black, wavy hair. Years ago, she'd lay on his chest, and he'd play with the strands, drawn in by their softness and her rosemary scent. 

Solara kept her eyes on Ju'rah. "The chip is their property, but I could still view the memory in your brain. They're not as strong or accurate as a data file, but it's a starting point."

He shifted on the couch cushions and wrung his hands together. "Mem-Stem won't like it."

"We're not selling or copying it, just reviewing," Solara said.

After Ju'rah chewed on his lip, he grimaced.

Was he truly that selfish to deny Messita the dignity of an investigation into her troubling death? While they hid some truths from each other, Runan and his sister had always shared important news in their lives, besides her lying to avoid his judgements. She'd want him to find out the truth. Ju'rah had to be hiding something. As Runan's body tensed, Solara nudged his knee with hers and gave him a small smile. As his anger melted, she turned to Ju'rah.

"You must be torn. Even though you and Messita were close, you need to support yourself despite her death. We'll take on the risk. While you were inebriated, Runan and I coerced you into this. A new truth, something you didn't catch might come to light with extra sets of eyes. Think of her, would she want her brother to live with this guilt?"

Ju'rah's eyes watered, and he buried his head in his hands. "She was never meant to die."

Solara passed him a box of tissues and waited for him to compose himself. 

What did those words mean? Did he and Messita have a plan or was he referencing their desire to move to burgeoning Mid-Caldozza? 

As Runan's lips parted, Solara shook her head and mouthed 'wait'. Her handling of the situation, of his anger, and of Ju'rah's drunken flip-flopping was admirable. He hadn't expected it and didn't deserve her compassion.