Chapter 7

"I thought she was mad when she broke up with me, but that is a side of Lara I'm glad I never saw," Ernesito said.

"Just do you job," Runan snapped. "Unless you want us all to get arrested."

Ernesito placed the memory cap on Ju'rah and played around on the tablet. Runan assessed his receding hairline, his bulkier nose, thick hair and wide shoulders. Was this the man Solara wanted now? Was it his physique or career and status that drew her in? It wasn't his personality, although Runan wasn't winning any awards in that department, especially after reliving his idiot teen days and reminding Solara why they hadn't spoken in ten years. Not that it'd be easy to forget.

Ernesito focused on the screen, tapping and swirling around with his fingers in ways that Runan would never understand. When Ernesito's hand stopped moving, Runan stepped closer and asked, "What are you doing to him?"

"I isolated your body's actions related to walking and am transferring them to Ju'rah's chip. This would take longer on an unchipped patient, but you two toyed with the right mem-puppet today."

"His name is Ju'rah."

Ernesito set down the tablet and took the cap off Ju'rah's head. "Help him to his feet so we can get him out before we're caught."

Runan placed his arm under Ju'rah's shoulders and lifted him until they were both standing. Ernesito motioned toward the door, and Runan transported the man over. With his legs supporting him but unable to move, it was like dragging a very tall sack of flour. Runan couldn't shake the unsettled feeling in his stomach. After Ernesito opened the doors, and they made it to the balcony, he clicked a few times on the tablet. Ju'rah's body straightened, balancing on its own.

Ernesito laughed with a grin on his face. "Remarkable."

"Yeah, you've programmed a human-robot." If the Uppers ever learned of such a thing... Runan shuddered for the fate of his community. Ju'rah began his descent down the stairs. The procedure had some flaws as Ju'rah's feet missed several steps. Runan stayed at his side to catch him and save his body the trauma Ernesito didn't seem concerned about.

A door clicked shut upstairs and a pair of light footsteps fell in step with Ernesito. Runan concentrated on helping Ju'rah until they reached uniform ground. From there, Ju'rah's pace slowed to the brooding trudge Runan had taken home that night, pausing at the fountain, but not sitting and growing upset as Runan had. When Runan dared to meet Solara's eyes, she smiled slightly and came to walk beside him.

"I've never apologized for... the unforgiveable things I yelled at you."

Her hazel eyes met his. "I may have felt better at the time if I'd known you were hurting as much as me."

"I was, I'm sorry. You didn't deserve it, certainly not from a good friend."

"Good friend? You were my best friend."

Runan could hardly smile. It made his actions that much more deplorable. "The spot's still open, though I'm too much of an asshole for most people."

Despite his self-deprecating tone, Solara laughed, her cheeks dimpling. "I'll think about it, but you may have some competition." She nodded toward Ju'rah's hunched shoulders and dragging feet.

"I can't be the only one who finds it deeply concerning that in two minutes that man created a robot out of Ju'rah's vacant body."

"It's terrifying, but one problem at a time."

When Runan, Solara, and Nesito arrived at a battered back door, Runan sorted through Ju'rah's pockets for a key, and after a few tries, the lock clicked and handle turned. He switched the keys out for the phone and typed out a message to Ju'rah's sister, asking her to bring over soup and medicine as quickly as she could.