When she reads the text, Camila's heart stops. She doesn't know if she should get excited yet – the girl could back out the second she sees her.

Whatever. There's a chance she could pull this off.

Mila (12:21PM): WHAT!!!!

Mila (12:21PM): OMG MANI IF U WERENT DATING MY BEST FRIEND ID MARRY U

Mila (12:21PM): AND ALLY TBH TELL HER IM PROPOSING

Mani (12:23PM): Ally said sorry but shes not into chicks you were rejected

Mani (12:23PM): Anyway we've set up a coffee date for you and this girl, p sure shes only doing it bc we freaked her out a little lmao

Great, Camila thinks, so she's already freaked out. Camila knows that her inherent awkwardness might scare the girl away even more, but she's absolutely desperate, so maybe that'll up her flirting game.

Mani (12:24PM): So you've gotta do some flirting and pay her upfront probably

Mila (12:25PM): ill take it

Mila (12:25PM): whens the coffee date???

Mani (12:27PM): You know that Starbucks in the university's union building??? It's there tomorrow at four

Mila (12:27PM): okay thank u so much u and ally are the best

Mani (12:28PM): Bish pls, I already know I'm amazing ;)

Mani (12:28PM): But don't forget, you're meeting Lauren in Starbucks at four tomorrow.

Mila (12:29PM): shes called lauren??? thats a cute name

Mila (12:29PM): and i know i was super desperate and looking for literally anyone but is she cute?

Mani (12:30PM): Saved this from her facebook

"Oh my god, Dinah," Camila shoves her friend, who nearly drops the bottle of Coke she's drinking, "Look! Mani and Ally found a girl for me, and look at her."

Dinah looks at the picture and frowns. "She's way out of your league."

"I know!" Camila looks back at the picture. "I don't get why she's willing to do this. Like, if you look like her, why the fuck would you do something as stupid as help some weirdo lie to her mother? Whatever, I'm not complaining. For twenty-four hours, I'll have a hot girlfriend."

"Maybe she smells bad or something," Dinah suggests, "and you know I was joking about that out of your league thing, right?"

"Yeah, I know," Camila smiles and hugs her best friend, "I wouldn't care if you weren't, though. If this coffee date goes well tomorrow, I'm going to have a fake girlfriend for Valentine's Day."

-

When Lauren wakes up on the morning of Friday, February 13th, it seems like a regular day.

She follows her usual morning routine – she wakes up, Dash on her bed like he always is, and she pets her dog exactly nine times before she sits up and makes her way over to the bathroom. She brushes her teeth, showers, washing her hair and drying it, knowing that she has time before her first class on Fridays.

Then, she gets dressed, putting on her favourite ripped jeans, and an oversized The 1975 sweater. She walks over to the mirror, making sure her hair isn't too messy, and then goes downstairs, Dash following at her heels.

"Morning, mami," Lauren greets her mother, playing with her spinner ring a little before heading over to the cupboard to get a bowl of Cheerios.

As Lauren is measuring out her Cheerios to make exactly 30 grams, her mom looks up and smiles at her. "Morning, Lauren. What time is your class today?"