I Was Never Loved- chp 12

Start from the beginning

"Unfortunately both he and Seth will be judging alongside Kyle." Sydney said, rolling her eyes.

"Well then I'm a shoe in!" I said, confidence rising in me.

"How so?" Jonie asked curiously. I bet she already knew the answer but she was checking my analytical skills.

"It's simple. Sydney will naturally influence Kyle to vote for me, I'm not sure about Seth but Jayden won't be able to keep himself from picking me so I guess two out of three isn't bad."

"Is that so?" Jayden asked challengingly.

"I've already told you, you have no power when it comes to me." I said flashing him an innocent smile. He was definitely the only guy that I had ever felt comfortable enough to act the same way as I did around Lilia. He looked like he was about to speak but one glance at Jonie and he quickly swallowed whatever it was.

"Whatever you say, Cinderella." He said at last.

"Don't call me that."

"Why not? Shouldn't you get use to the title from now since I won't be able to stop myself from picking you?" He asked, twirling a lock of my hair. Again with the closeness. Subconsciously my body began to react as my breathing became strained. Ofcourse Jonie just had to notice.

"Alright we're leaving, come on Kai." She said grabbing my hand.

"But why? I'm not done with her!" Sydney complained.

"Because it's obvious that these two can't behave themselves around each other."

"He started it."

"She started it."

"Well I'm ending it." She said sounding abit annoyed. She pulled me away. Leave it to Jonie to come swooping in and saving me.

When I went home that day and went to my room I  was pleasantly surprized. There was a dress . . .lying on my bed . . .perfectly in tact. I ran my hand against it. How did Lilia know that I wanted a dress? I had'nt told her about the dance as yet. Well I was still grateful for it. Matt walked to my door.

"Mom said you're suppose to try it on so she can know if she needs to return it."

I stared wide eyed at him. The other day when mom spoke about getting me a dress I just thought she was talking under work stress. "Mom got this for me?!" How? It was a gorgeous dress that had absolutely no flaws. Why would mom give it to me?

"Well duh, didn't she say she was going to?" He asked impatiently before walking off. I looked down at the dress again. With this I would look . . . decent. Obviously I wouldn't looked beautiful because I wasn't but with this I would actually look like someone. I didn't understand mom's logic but at the moment I didn't care to either.

The next morning I went to school with a high spirit. At the moment the only thing that could bring me down was a forty ton anchor- nothing else. That morning we were having assembly in the auditorium so the student body reps could address us on the matter of the dance. Naturally Jayden was at the mic with the rest of the body standing to either side.

"Good day my fellow students."

We all stood to greet him, all except Jonie. She remained seated with her feet up on the chair infront of her. During class the teachers had to constantly ask her to sit properly but to no avail. This was what Jayden craved; he wanted everyone's attention. He loved feeling important and truthfully the arrogant look suited him. We sat after the greeting. "Now I won't tell you what the theme for the dance is but what you should know is who the girls who plan to run for the crown this year are." The auditorium became dead silent. "Running for the crown this year: Erin Saunders," Everyone began clapping. Didn't people usually wait until they heard all the runners before clapping? I looked questioningly over at Jonie.