CHAPTER 12 - They move apartments

Freddie had gone upstairs to get the keys to the apartment next to his. Kenny went to the Academy to get someone else to run the morning martial arts class and returned with three guys from the class, each of them, about two inches shorter and 25 pounds lighter than Kenny, also in the dark blue SFPD tracksuit pants and sweatshirt.

It took the five of them less than an hour to manhandle the contents of Jack's apartment up to the top floor. Kenny left with the three guys to fetch the contents of his apartment. Three hours later they were back and the five of them moved Kenny's furniture and belongings from a trailer into what had been Jack's apartment.

Kenny made coffee and handed out the cups and he spoke, "Well, now we're in position for when they come back. For, come back they will. And it won't be just one this time. Also, have to assume they'll be armed."

"And," said Freddie, looking at Kenny, "I want twenty-four-hour surveillance on this building."

"Already addressed," said Kenny, looking at his three recruits from the gym who nodded in unison, "And they're going to pick up three more, so we can run three, eight-hour shifts. "

"Thanks, guys," said Jack. "I really appreciate your help and concern."

The three guys each shook Jack's hand and left

"Feeling a bit like I'm in Protective Custody," said Jack.

"What are you going to do now?" said Freddie.

"I'm going to set about getting myself a job at Magna Real Estate. They were mostly salesmen at the Magna party on Friday. Maybe they need another one."

"Well if you do get a job there," said Freddie, "you won't feel like you're in Protective Custody anymore. You'll be out in the open."

"Freddie's right," said Kenny, 'this is not like some one-on-one MMA fight, it's a whole criminal organization."

"OK, I get it."

"Good," said Freddie, "Glad you understand. Now let's go to the office so I can take a statement." Freddie held up a six-inch by six-inch evidence bag containing the silver pen. "And I want to see if the prints on here match to anything we got."

Kenny looked around the apartment. "I need to this into some order," said Kenny. "But also got a pile of paperwork waiting for me at the Academy. Gotta do that first."

"How about a barbecue on the roof at five o'clock? My treat," said Jack.

Freddie and Kenny gave a thumbs up to that idea.

Kenny looked at Jack. "Are you OK to jog to the Academy."

It was not the time it took to jog there – ten minutes – it was the stiffness kicking in from the tangle with Conti.

"We can drive if you're not up for it," said Freddie.

"I'm fine," said Jack, "Let's jog."