Chapter Three: Surprise, dear mate

I saw the part of you,
   That only when you're older you will see too

Chapter 3: Surprise, dear mate

"Hello?" My voice sounds foreign to me, I couldn't focus on anything as my mind replayed the horrid scene of Hunter killing the innocent child.

   "Hey, just wanted to check in on you. You haven't been texting me much, how was your first day?" Hunter sounded so nonchalant.

   "It," I hesitated for a second, begging the words to form on my lips, " was great. I mean, was fine, just boring classes and haven't done anything very eventful." My eyes scan the room and lock eyes with nearly everyone there.

   Of course they were all listening to me, great. I take steps away from everyone and closer to the door.

   "Rose? Hello? Are you even listening to me right now?" My eyes widen realizing I completely missed whatever it was Hunter had said. Everything around me seemed like a distraction, my stomach filled with a vile glass of anxiety.

            "Sorry, I'm actually at a meeting right now. Planning to join a club, I can't really talk"

            "Are you sure everything is okay Rose?"

            "Yes." My mouth became dry. I was always a bad liar.

I heard slight chatter behind me, turning my back to the door, I glance over at the group to find them whispering to themselves. Furrowing my brows, I try to eavesdrop but Hunter doesn't allow it.

            "Well congrats on the club, I can't wait to hear all about it this weekend when I come down"

            That caught me off guard. "This weekend?"

            "Yeah, I figured I have some free time and can let my Beta work a little harder. Plus, I need my dose of Rose," his deep chuckle rang through my ears, and for a second it nearly calmed me.

            "Gross," I say but it comes more like a whisper as my eyes wander back to the group as they are hunched over talking somehow inaudibly.

After saying goodbye to Hunter, I wasn't entirely convinced he wasn't as suspicious of me as I was of him. Why did he randomly decide to visit so soon? The anxiety steeped higher and higher.

            Walking back towards the group, I could see the muscles on Xander's back tense as he hears my steps getting closer. That's when I took an actual look at his appearance, there was no doubt he was very handsome, even from behind.

Wearing a fitted but simple t-shirt, his big biceps were threatening to break loose. It was as if he was built of just muscles but with his wide and tall stance, he kind of looked like a giant teddy bear you wanted to hug.

            No. I cringe at the idea, what's wrong with me. A slight rosy brush touches my cheeks as I try to remind myself of the monster Xander is.

            "All is well in paradise?" Xander smirks, showing his white pearly set of teeth. His canines stood out white and sharp, but not in a vampire way, it looked more natural.

It looked strong. He looked strong.

I could take him. I straighten my back, attempting to add some more height to my 5 foot 4 inches stance.

"So, you want to help us kill your mate?" Despite just meeting Leslie, I already knew I hate her.

"No," I dart my eyes at her, "I can't know for sure that was him, and if it is, it could have been an old video. He is different now. Hunter is not the vicious person he used to be and I've had enough of this."