Chapter Four: We're Family

"And here it is, our final night alive 

And as the earth runs to the ground

Oh, it's you that I lie with"

Chapter 4:

I ignore the uneasiness growing in my stomach, turning towards Lila I ask, "How come you didn't recognize me? I mean, not to sound conceited but shouldn't you be able to recognize your own Luna? And why are you with Xander when you should have been protecting me?" 

Lila looked at me stunned, her mouth slightly hanging open and her eyes wide. I immediately felt guilty. 

"You're right, I'm sorry Luna." Lila looked down at her hands and didn't say another word. 

"Jeez lighten up wofly, you're acting like your mate." Xander scowls at me, unpleased. 

"Lila, I'm sorry." Her eyes gaze back up at mine and I could tell she was still tense, her shoulders stiff and her back straight. 

"I didn't mean to be rude, I'm not sure what had gotten into me but it was unfair to expect you to recognize me when I didn't recognize you either. Also, you really don't have to protect me, I can't imagine that would be much fun. Hunter will never know." I give her a big smile hoping she will become more relaxed. 

"It is my honor to be here with you, Luna." I internally cringe.

"Please don't call me that, just call me Rose and let's pretend like you aren't babysitting me and that we are just friends." I knew she wouldn't back off, Hunter had commanded her to come to protect me and that is something she will hold to her grave. 

Lila agrees and then gets distracted by something Xander whispers to her. I feel a small bit of jealousy by his behavior and their closeness. 

I must be going mad. 

But there was a small thought at the back of my head, something I couldn't allow myself to dwell on. What if Xander was like Greg? 

Already distressed by the idea, I decide to ignore it entirely, bringing my attention back to the two sitting in front of me. 

They both had a serious expression, staring straight at each other with furrowed brows and hard eyes.

"You are crazy to think that taking care of a dog is easier than a cat, I have two cats and they are perfectly content at home and doesn't need you running around taking them for constant walks," Lila smirks as she finishes her sentence and crosses her arms.

"Dogs are loyal and love to cuddle and-" I cut Xander off with my laughter. 

"Why are you guys even arguing this right now?" I shake my head at them both, I'm not sure how their friendship even started but they looked like an old married couple. 

"Shut up, this is a serious topic," Xander says in a sassy tone as he glares at me. 

"Well moving on to another topic, how did you guys even meet?" I couldn't help but ask.

"We're family," Lila says nonchalantly. 

Not being able to hide the shock from my face, Xander adds, " Lila is my baby cousin, so no need to be jealous." 

Ignoring the latter remark, my head went hazy with hundreds of questions. 

How did Xander have a cousin if his whole pack was wiped out?

How coincidental is it for his cousin to be my assigned roommate?

Why were they both so flirty and going on so-called dates?