Part Three, Chapter Four

Start from the beginning

"Li! I didn't know you were coming! Where's Em?" He asks, because the two of them mostly come as a package deal of sorts.

When the sixteen year old gets to the bottom of the stairs, Liam draws him into a hug, which he returns. "Just me today, bud. How's school?" He asks as he pulls away.

Harry shrugs. "Just school," he replies nonchalantly, as though he doesn't get flawless As without ever having to put in the slightest bit of effort. "Though, you should ask Niall the same thing," he says with a smirk at their Dad.

Liam frowns in confusion, because Niall is not the sort of person you ask about school. The kid just doesn't seem to gel with that whole environment.

"Is he in trouble again?" He asks, and Dad laughs.

"Nope. The opposite. He's been bringing home Bs for the past week, and not a single detention," he says, and Liam raises a brow.

"Really?" He questions, trying to hide his surprise as he glances around the hall. "Surprised he isn't here to tell me himself."

Dad chuckles, leading the way through to the living room. "No, he's on that phone of his again."

Liam grins when he spots the fourteen year old on the couch, surprisingly still for Niall. He bends over the sofa behind his youngest brother, the kid not even noticing him since he's so busy tapping away on his phone. Liam blows his hair from behind and Niall physically flinches, quickly shoving his phone in his pocket before turning with an annoyed frown which turns into a grin.

He leans up to throw his arms around Liam's neck and he laughs, feeling better already as he hugs him back.

"Li! Where'd you come from?" He asks, and Liam gives the smaller boy a squeeze before pulling away to ruffle his blond hair.

"That's a secret I'll never tell, Shorty," he says, making the boy pout and roll his eyes. Liam frowns when he sees how red and watery they are, growing concerned instantly because it looks a lot like the kid has been crying. "You okay?" He asks quickly.

Niall looks confused for a moment then quickly averts his gaze. "Oh, yeah. Allergies. Because of the pollen and stuff," he answers, and Liam gives a hesitant nod because Niall does get hay fever but not until the midst of summer usually...although, summer has started late this year and even though autumn is due to start, it's still pretty bright out.

"Dinner!" Papa calls from the kitchen, and Liam watches with a lingering frown as Niall doesn't scramble into the other room the way he always does. He takes his time instead, probably calmer that Liam has ever seen him.

He dismisses it when he steps into the kitchen only to be ambushed in a tight hug off of his Papa too. He wheezes out a laugh, wrestling against the man with a grin. "Papa! Again with the suffocating hugs," he says, making the man laugh before he presses a kiss to his temple.

"Good to see you, bud," he says, before handing him a plate loaded with mac and cheese. "And I just happened to be making your favourite when you called. It's kismet," he adds, making Liam grin as he sits down.

Niall is already tucking into his own plate, with Harry beside him watching with a crinkled up nose at the speed the kid eats at. And with Dad and Papa on either side of him, both periodically reaching across to squeeze his shoulder or give him a reassuring nudge, he's reminded that he isn't alone.

He never will be.

.

As soon as dinner is over, Niall excuses himself to the bathroom, wherein he promptly turns on the faucet with trembling hands and splashed some cold water on his face, willing his heart to slow down.