Part One, Chapter Ten

Liam finds out the name of his bully on the playground on the second day back to school after Halloween when the boy pushes him over and a girl laughs and cheers, "you're so funny, Zak!"

Liam doesn't find it very funny when he's the one on the concrete with scuffed palms again.

But he doesn't retaliate, he just lets the frustration and the upset sit inside until he's at home, in his safe place where he can let his emotions out.

And unfortunately, Harry always seems to be around when that happens.

He sits on his bed, still in his uniform, frowning at the floor and trying to figure out why. Why some kid who doesn't even know him decided to pick on him in the first place, what is wrong with him? Is there something about the way that he looks or just the way that he is that makes him the chosen target?

Mikey always helps him up after and tells him to ignore them, but he can't do it anymore. He can't keep letting them hurt him (because even though it's only ever Zak pushing him around, his dumb friends laugh and that hurts just as much).

The thing is, he's allowed it to go on for so long now that he can't bring himself to tell his parents. He's been reassured a million times by both of them that they're never too busy to talk to him, so he knows that time isn't an issue. He just worries that they'll be mad at him for not telling them sooner.

He sniffs, wiping at his nose before he realises that he's started crying somewhere along the line, chest all tight.

And then his door flies open without so much as a knock and he jumps, defended flying up. Harry runs in with a grin.

"Liam, there's a new boy in my class and -" he halts just past the doorway with a concerned frown as Liam hurried to wipe the tears from his face, upset melting into anger within seconds.

"Get out, Haz!" He snaps, standing up and walking towards the younger boy, who just carries on staring.

"Why were you crying? I'll go and get Daddy or Papa," he begins, and Liam flinches again, shaking his head wildly.

"No! It's none of your business!" He shouts, grabbing his brother by the arm and yanking him towards the door.

Harry lets out a small yelp, trying to tug his arm out of Liam's grip. All the older boy cares about in that moment is getting his brother out because he can't breathe and he can't think and he just wants to cry in peace.

"Li, you're hurting me! I was jus' tryna help," he says when they reach the doorway, and Liam just lets go roughly and glares at the five year old.

"You're not helping! Just leave me alone!"

He hears movement from downstairs then, knowing that he's caught the attention of his parents and his panic only grows, revealing itself in the form of, yet again, more anger.

Niall comes out of his and Harry's room, cute features scrunched up into a frown as he marches over and starts to pummel his tiny fists against Liam's hips.

The action doesn't hurt one bit - what does hurt is seeing that Harry has started crying, because this isn't what he wants, to upset his siblings. Not by any means.

"Don' be mean to my Haz!" The three year old yells, and Liam attempts to push the toddler away lightly only for him to trip backwards and land roughly on the carpet of the hallway just in time for Dad and Papa to see.

The second Niall starts screaming, palms red and carpet burned from his landing, his Dad looks up at him in shock whilst Papa tries to comfort both of his crying brothers.