Part Two, Chapter Nine

Liam can barely keep his eyes open during his French class the following day, lids falling to half mast and getting dangerously close to falling fully shut as Madame Roch continues to go over French infinitives.

He's too exhausted to even be worried about the fact that nothing she's saying is making any sense to him, all of his focus going into staying awake.

Emily leans in and nudges him from the other desk. "Li. You need to go home," she hisses, and he opens his mouth to argue against her when Madame Roch locks eyes on his girlfriend.

"Ms Francis. Anything you'd like to share with the class?" She asks, and Emily's cheeks visibly heat up as she shakes her head.

"No Madame," she answers, shooting Liam another worried look before she turns back to the front.

Mikey frowns from the seat directly beside him. "She's right. You look dead," he says, and Liam wants to scoff but he's too tired to even manage that.

He just keeps his gaze forwards, focusing on the white board as the PowerPoint changes from slide to slide.

He doesn't even remember closing his eyes until he's pitching forwards and almost slamming into his desk, Mikey catching him at the last second. The sound of his hands flying out and knocking his water bottle over is enough to gain the attention of the rest of the class. A few people snicker and he feels his face turning red.

The teacher sighs. "Boys, what is going on over there?" She asks, and in the time that it takes Liam to even process the question, Mikey is already answering for them.

"Liam isn't well miss, can I take him to the nurse?" He asks, and Liam turns to frown at him but Madame Roch is already telling them to just go.

His best friend help him to stuff his pencil case and books into his bag before putting a hand in his back and leading him out of the classroom.

"Seriously man. What's going on?" Mikey asks softly as soon as they're in the hallway.

Liam just huffs, trying to reach for his backpack, which the other boy is still carrying for him. Mikey holds it out of the way.

"I doubt you'll be able to lift it without keeling over. I'm making sure the nurse calls your Papa or Dad or someone to take you home so you can go the hell to sleep," he scolds like he's speaking to someone half of his age.

Liam wants to scowl at his best friend, but he just sighs instead, the thought of climbing into bed at home sounding more than welcoming.

Only, Niall still isn't back at school yet and he can't face being in the same room alone with him feeling so guilty still.

"Li, I think you should talk to someone," Mikey says quietly when they reach the nurses office, eyes scanning over him with an expression of worry.

And Liam just chews on his lip, because he has an appointment with Gabby for the first time in over a year coming up but he doesn't want to talk to her. He just wants to talk to his parents but his stupid head won't let him without making him feel crippling guilt.

Mikey gives his arm a squeeze before he reaches out to knock on the door to the office. The nurse is quick to hustle Liam in, and he's far too out of it to even register Mikey speaking to her as he settles himself down on one of the beds.

He drifts into sleep sooner than he's even laid down.

"Come on, bud."

He lets out a groan, swatting at the hands that are on his shoulders, trying to rouse him with a shake.