Chapter Twenty One

Frederick.

It was only Frederick.

She'd worried for nothing — the knock had been by the only man she cared about now her father was dead. "Your stepmother is leaving now; I thought you might want to see her off."

"This early? The sun's only just rising — and I didn't get to talk to her almost at all, the whole time she was here," Meredith responded, standing to his left, biting her bottom lip.

Frederick shrugged. "Sorry. She wanted to stay out of sight — and I should tell you something," He planted his feet onto the ground rigidly, and drew himself tall. "Meredith. You might want to sit down for this." Obediently, she sat, looking up at him. He smiled almost nervously at her before speaking again. "I'm sure you'll have a lot of questions, but... your stepmother, she was one of the original leaders of the revo —"

"I know," Meredith replied, memories of last night flooding her quickly. She shoved them away, taking his hand and helping herself up. "I found out yesterday."

Frederick cast his eyes away from her. "I'm sorry. I wanted to be the one to tell you — and I wanted to tell you, I did. But I didn't want to disrespect her wishes, and she explicitly stated that she didn't want you to know. However now that your father is dead, and the other Elders in hiding, she has changed her mind. I suppose she was scared that you would accidentally let something slip to The Elders about the revolution, and get her into trouble," He paused for a second, scanning her face with eager eyes. "Who told you?"

She waved the question away — she couldn't bring herself to speak his name. "It's not significant — what's important is, I forgive you for not telling me. I can see how it would be an awkward topic, and how you wouldn't want to disobey Eleanor, especially if she's a... a leader."

Frederick smiled wanly, edging closer to her. "I'm glad you understand, Meredith, I really am. Your stepmother — we should wave her off." He drew even closer to her, and she could feel his breath grazing her bare neck. Meredith leaned in so he could kiss her — it was quick, gentle — and then together, with arms wrapped around one another, they exited the hut. Frederick led her through the bowing willow trees, the tufts of grass. She looked at the bark and leaves like a newborn peering at a dog. It was like she was seeing it all clearly — like it was a painting, and she was focusing on every brushstroke separately. The wind caressed her cheeks incessantly, forbidding her from breathing. The smell of the pine trees caught in her throat, and Meredith squeezed Frederick's hand firmly.

Eleanor loomed ahead, clutching a bag to her chest. She looked so lost, so alone; the moment faded as soon as Eleanor noticed them approaching; her face hardened and her jaw tightened. She said nothing, but nodded to them quickly. Meredith's eyes didn't leave Eleanor's — she couldn't shake the feeling that Eleanor wanted to tell her something, something secret.

Without warning, Meredith broke free from Frederick and rushed to her stepmother, and pulled her close. "I love you," She told her, as Eleanor's arms snaked over her back. "Stay safe. Please."

Eleanor pressed her lips against Meredith's ear, and whispered, "You must —"

"The sun is rising, Eleanor - and I know you want to leave before others see you," Frederick announced, still behind them, but much closer now - one of his hands rested against Meredith's back, while the other remained at his side. Eleanor leaned back, her chest rising and falling rapidly, her eyes on Frederick rather than Meredith now.

"I must go," Eleanor said in a resigned tone, inching away from them. Meredith stared at her — Eleanor's hair was tousled, her eyes red, her voice scratchy. Frederick nodded, his hand burning a hole through Meredith's dress. She focused on his fingers against her, and wondering how it would feel if she had nothing to shield her from his touch. If she was blushing over this, Meredith didn't know if she could trust herself to keep her dignity if his hands ever brushed her nude skin.