03| Guns For Hands

Beginne am Anfang

He looked far too young to be one of my clients and I only had a rota of four or so men that I trusted; he was definitely not one of them. My past was littered with bad memories and even worse men, people that used and abused me for what they wanted and then left. I constantly tried to forget my start in life, everything except for Hope.

"No, you must be mistaken." I replied in my normal voice, quickly avoiding further eye contact with him and trying not to think too much about my slip up with the Norwegian accent. Crap. "Can I get you a coffee too, schat?"

Luca simply nodded his head but those curious, striking eyes never left mine

Luca simply nodded his head but those curious, striking eyes never left mine. He had dark hair that was unruly and untamed in a just-fucked way, with glassy blue eyes that matched his companions in depth. His mouth was a thin line that stood out against his pale complexion and high cheekbones.

He was truly stunning and if I had the time or money to date men again, I would most definitely be inclined to date him.

"Would you like milk with that?" I swallowed, trying to avoid his intense gaze.

"Please."

Not wanting to linger at their table any longer than necessary, I quickly took the last order and tried not to slip up with the accent again. They were all watching me with mixed expressions and although I prided myself with an unmatched ability to read people, I was struggling to even get past the prologue with them.

"I'll be back with your drinks in just a second." I was gone before the last word was even out, wanting to put as much distance between myself and the weird atmosphere at the table as humanly possible. They seemed different, an untouchable and dangerous kind of beauty. The kind one should steer far away from.

On the way back from their table, I bumped into a small figure from just behind. Spinning around I came face to face with a small girl who possessed a large mass of frizzy blonde hair and deep blue eyes that instantly made me envious. Her face lifted up to mine and a familiar wide smile beamed up at me.

"The regular?" I swerved around her small frame and continued toward the counter to grab the pre-prepared paper bag which I filled every morning with a chocolate chip cookie and fresh sandwich. Annie would always sit outside the café doors, constantly looking to ask our customers for their unwanted scraps, until I started working here. I saw the poor kid, no older than twelve, and knew I had to do something to help out the girl who reminded me so much of my younger self.

"Whisky. Neat." Annie slapped her hand down on the counter with a cheeky grin, gaining my attention and causing me to shake my head.

Typical.

"Milkshake. Cold." I deadpanned, pouring her a large cup of milkshake because she hated coffee. She also hated when I pretended not to know her real age, which only made me tease her about it every time. "This isn't a bar and besides you're like what, Seven?"