Just Friends

The next day, I saw Tarin. He instantly recognized me and ran toward me. I blushed. "Hey. It's Royal... Right? Anyway, I saw you in science yesterday. Gosh, you're so amazing. I feel like Augustus from the Fault in Our Stars!" He announced smiling. Um... Awkwardness. "That's nice of you.. I guess." I've never really talked to boys. "Can I have your phone number?" He asked. I guess he was new to girls too... Probably. I gave it to him, and he quickly scribbled it down on his arm. "It's 822?" He questioned, looking up from his arm. "Yup" I nodded, surprised he wanted my number... Maybe it was a trick. Anyway, I was pleased. Wishing I was popular for the millionth time (against Amethyst's advice), I sat down on the sidewalk waiting for my dad to pick me up.

"So do you want to go to a movie tomorrow?" Tarin asked.

"As friends?" I asked.

"Yeah."

I loved him. As a friend. That was confusing... Isn't it? Told you being liked was a weird event.

"So... You're asking me out exactly 24 hours after you just met me?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"You kept track!?" He said laughing.

"Ok, I'll go. As friends. "

Tarin didn't seem at all bothered... In fact, I didn't think he wanted me as a girlfriend, which is a relief... Because I didn't want him as a boyfriend either. I took out my iPod from my pocket. It was the newest version, but it was pointless despite my phone and social media apps. Aside from my parents, I texted nobody. After opening my texting app, I texted my mom about going to the movies, I sat on the curb for a bit next to him. Exactly 2 minutes later I got a text from my mom which said "ABSOLUTELY NOT!" I turned to Tarin to apologize. There was no need. He read the text. "It's ok Royal." He patted my back (corny, right?) and left.