"Thanks," she says tightly, not really looking at me. "But I... don't really like Cody anymore."

"Oh," I say. What else do I say? "Sooo... does this mean you like someone else?"

"People don't always 'like' someone Sienna, this isn't third grade. I'm not looking for some knight in shining armor to come sweep me off my feet," she snaps, making me recoil. "O-okay, then."

The rest of the car ride to Cody Chasen's house is silent except for the sound of the radio, and Jase briefing us, once again, on what the plan is. I can tell he doesn't particularly like Mayah, as the few moments his eyes drift away from the road are to look in the rearview mirror at my face, his words always addressing me. It's strange... it feels a bit like Mayah and Jase are from two different worlds, like they don't belong in the same universe, much less the same cab of a Tesla. Mayah is my oldest friend, the girl who made me bike into a lake on a dare, the girl I used to tell everything to and Jase... well, my relationship with him is far too complicated to put into words.

Did I say relationship? Because that's certainly not what I meant. Just... hatredship. Friendship. Competelyconfusedandfrustratedship. But certainly not relationship.

"Okay, so- just a recap. If anyone asks why I let you come..." Jase asks as we pull up to Cody Chasen's brownstone townhouse.

"If anyone asks, we're family friends. Your parents thought it would be a good idea if you tutored me, since I'm a straight-A student, but you had a party to go to. So I said I wouldn't tell on you... if Mayah and I were allowed to come."

"Excellent," Jase says, looking back at me with a slight smirk. "And if they don't ask?"

"You have no idea who Mayah and I are, we ignore you the whole night, take an Uber home."

Jase nods, straightening back in his seat and looking over right as Cody Chasen and Janine Stark climb into the car, Janine squeezing between me and Mayah and Cody taking shotgun. Jase has barely even turned the car on, starting up the engine when Cody, obviously a little bit drunk already, pulls a bottle of... something... from the inside of his jacket. "A little pregame action?" he asks, taking a swig before passing it to Jase- who pushes it back. "I'm driving, idiot. And there'll be plenty more of that in... what, twenty minutes."

"Awe, Jase, are you... scared?" Cody asks, the toxic masculinity practically radiating off of him.

"Nope- I just don't particularly want to get into a car crash," Jase responds, and while his tone is casual, he doesn't even bother to look at Cody, his gaze still firmly ahead as he grips the steering wheel so tightly his knuckles go white, and there's a clench in his jaw. This is a sore subject... but Cody will never get that.

"Fine. Suit yourself. Ladies?" Cody asks, swiveling around, a strand of shaggy blonde hair falling in his face. He passes it to me and I shake my head, eyes going wide. "N-no thanks," I say quietly.

"Why the fuck not?" Cody challenges me, pressing the bottle of what I now recognize as tequila so close to me that I can smell it. "It's not like you're driving."

"C'mon, Sienna? Why don't you just take a sip? Trust me, it's not that bad... but I'm sure you already know that. So just take some," Mayah says, her face looking at me like it already knows the outcome of this.

"No- I'm good, really."

"Lay off her, guys," I hear Jase's tone, relaxed, though the look he gives me through the rearview mirror is one of concern. "We all know Little Red here isn't exactly an expert on the partying scene. Besides- it's more for you."

Jase doesn't think I can handle it.

And the worst part is, I think as I watch Cody shrug, passing the bottle to Mayah, who is all too eager to take a swig, Jase is right.