Chapter 35 Part 1

A/N: Hey guys! I usually make little playlists based on each chapter I write, and I thought I'd share with you this time- if you listen to any/all of these songs while reading you IT WILL MAKE THE CHAPTER 300X BETTER

*just friends- Virginia to Vegas

*perfect places- Lorde 

*right now- iamnotshane

*starlight- Taylor Swift

*lemonade- Hannah Jane Lewis

*enchanted- Taylor Swift

*delicate- Taylor Swift

The alcohol burns my throat as it goes down and I almost spit it out, wanting to cough, but at the same time it fills me with a warmth, and before I know it, it's been multiple seconds and I'm still drinking it.

At least until Jase snatches the flask away from me, a challenging smirk on his face. "Slow down there, Red. I'm trying to get you to let loose, not be completely wasted."

"And was this your grand plan for helping me to 'let loose?'" I ask, saying the last part with air quotes. "Take me into a random parking lot and tell me to drink?"

"Ah, Red," he says, and the ever-spreading grin on his face makes me a bit nervous. "No. That was only the beginning."

"So... what's next, then?"

He runs a hand through his dark hair, strands casually falling into his face. "That, Red, is entirely up to us."

--

It doesn't take long for us to make it down to the beach, my heels off and dangling from my hand as I walk barefoot, my toes covered in wet sand as we walk up to a street just barely above the waterfront. I'm expecting all the shops to be closed, but somehow Jase manages to pull me into a 24-hour bakery with more flavors of pie than I've ever seen in my life. The two of us are a bit tipsy by this point, and when Jase suggests we buy an entire pie-sized amount of different slices, I can't help but think that's a great idea. I haven't forgotten about how our hands are intertwined the whole time we're ordering- periodically making me shiver and my heartbeat quicken. I've never done anything like this before... I mean, Noah and I held hands all the time, but it never felt like this, like I was being strung together and was coming undone all at the same time.

We sit down and I take my first bite of peach pie, my eyes going wide. "This might be the singularly best thing I've ever tasted. In my life. I want to marry this pie and have ten children with it."

"Ten? That sounds expensive," he grins, slicing off a piece of pecan pie and putting it in his mouth. "Also somewhat cannibalistic seeing that you're eating it."

"Wow. Hilarious. You're just so funny," I say, rolling my eyes, though somehow he managed to elicit a small smile from me.

"Yeah, I thought so," Jase says, leaning back in his chair with a lazy smirk on his face. "Do you want to dance?" he asks all of a sudden, leaning back in closer to where I'm sitting, his eyes so focused on me that it sends a shiver down my spine. Normally I'd just laugh at him, make some sarcastic comment about how we're not at the club anymore... but a mixture of alcohol and adrenaline is pumping through my veins, making me want to do things I wouldn't usually. So I just roll my eyes, taking his outstretched hand and stand up, stepping closer to him as the song switches to something lighthearted and fun, easy to dance to. There's a silence between us for a second, but it's... a good silence. I don't think I could say anything anyways, I feel like my heart's been lit on fire and I'm about to go up in flames at any second. So I just try to take a deep breath as we dance around jokingly, his shoes clicking on the black and white tile floors. Finally, though, when I think I've gotten over my breathlessness at being so, so close to Jase Turner, I look up at him. "Is this what you do with all the girls? Take them to bakeries at midnight and then ask them to dance while they're inebriated?"