Chapter 28

Chrissa is still staring at me incredulously as we step out of the school, as if I'm a completely different person than she pictured. When she found out that I was suggesting skipping our last class, I swear she almost had an aneurysm. I could practically see the wires in her brain going 'This does not compute.'

"You do realize I have a free period, right?" I ask her as I close the passenger door to her red Corvette (yes, her car is literally worth more than probably all the money my mother has saved right now). She rolls her eyes. "Yes, but you're such a goody-two-shoes I wouldn't have expected you to leave school-ever."

I roll my eyes. "I'm not an idiot. No one in the office even checks the security cameras- or cares if we leave. Why would I just sit at school when I don't have to?"

Chrissa shakes her head. "God, I was so wrong about you." She buckles her seatbelt, turning to face me before pressing the 'start' button on her car. "Are all nerds secretly this cool, or is it just you? Kind of like a Clark Kent/Superman thing?"

I just roll my eyes, laughing.

"Do you think this shirt makes my boobs look too big?" Chrissa asks me two hours later. I'm sitting in the dressing room with her at Nordstrom while she tries on their most expensive clothes. Up on her list next apparently is Kate Spade and Gucci.

It's making me feel a little awkward, knowing that there's no way I'll ever be able to pay for any of this, so I'm just stuck here watching Chrissa try on shirts.

"No, it looks good," I tell her, snapping out of my daze and giving her a thumbs-up. "Very high-fashion. You could be on the cover of Vogue next week, I mean, you're practically a celebrity. The-"

"You're not helpful at all!" Chrissa says, tossing a bundled-up shirt at my head. "And why aren't you trying anything on? I need to give you advice on how to improve...that," she says, looking at my plain sneakers, faded jeans and Gap t-shirt and waving her hand.

"Shut up!" I say with a laugh, throwing the shirt right back at her. "And- Chrissa- you know why I'm not buying anything. I don't exactly have Nordstrom money."

Chrissa picks up a white crocodile-skin Balenciaga bag that I'm pretty sure had a $1200 price tag, sighing. "Just try something on. Anything. Just for fun."

"I don't even know what I'd get anyway!" I say. "I haven't gone shopping in years."
Chrissa rolls her eyes. "Okay, I know that's not true- I saw you and the Jefferson girl at Urban Outfitters like two months ago."

"Yeah, but that was for her. Not for me."

Chrissa sighs, though I can tell her disinterest is somewhat fabricated by the way she continues to look at me through the mirror. "What ever happened between you two, anyway? You used to always be little nerd-friends together, and now she's practically avoiding you like the plague and going to parties all the time."

I blush. "Uh- well- the truth is, I don't really know. I guess she just... got bored of me."

I don't want to admit to Chrissa that some of it might be my fault, that she might now hate me because I was never interested in music like she was, because I never wanted to go out and party and have fun- because of what I said about her crush on Cody Chasen.

But still, I can't help but feel like Mayah abandoned me somehow.

"Well, my boyfriend has just decided that he's bored of me, so, I guess you're not alone in that," Chrissa says, pulling out the shirt collar under a preppy-looking plaid vest. She wrinkles her nose. "This is way too Gossip Girl."

"Really?" I ask her. "I think it's cute. You look like Blair Waldorf."

Chrissa laughs, looking back over at me and my... very worn in Converse. "Okay, that is it. I cannot handle you waddling around here like a little ugly duckling anymore- we are going to get you a makeover."