Chapter 4

I'm going to be living with Jase Turner.

My mom looks surprised as she opens the van door and jumps out. "You two know each other?"

I nod, my mouth suddenly dry and clamped shut. How is this happening? Jase Turner, the most popular, awful jerk in the school. I pinch myself, almost surprised when my nail digs into my arm, because this doesn't make any sense.

"Sienna, you coming?"

"Yeah!" My mom's voice shakes me out of my stupor and I hop out of the moving van, trying to ignore the fact that everything around me is spinning. As my foot hits the expensive cobblestone, Jase looks up, and before either of us can look away, our eyes meet again. I feel my cheeks get hot as he gives me a cool, relaxed stare, like it's perfectly normal for random girls to show up to his house at 7:30 on Saturday morning.

Well, maybe that is perfectly normal for him.

But still.

Just when I think i'm going to go blind from all the staring, Jase breaks his gaze, turning to the magnificent black double doors, which open with a creak, revealing a tall, slim brunette woman, wearing nude pumps that match exactly with her nude babydoll dress. Her dark hair is swept up in an elegant bun, and a strand of pearls adorn her neckline. In other words, she looks like the poster child of an elegant high society wife. But her eyes, cold and icy blue, seem to light up once she sees my mother. "Carrie!" she calls, waving her over. My mom brightens, looking up. "Hi, Lizbeth!"

Fucking hell. So this isn't a mistake. We didn't end up at the wrong house, Jase Fucking Turner's house, by accident. That would be bad enough. But this? This is so much worse than I could have ever imagined.

My mom, however, has never seemed happier as she pulls me, half dragging my feet through the cobblestones, each step closer to Jase Turner (whose gaze has been focused solely on his cell phone, I may add) like one step closer to my execution. Which might not be far from the truth, I think, as Jase's gaze lifts and he gives me a quick once-over, ratty jeans and greasy ponytail on display. Clearly he isn't impressed because he rolls his eyes and goes back to staring at his cell phone.

Jase's mom and my mom hug and squeal and exclaim about how good it is to see each other like one of them isn't about to go work for the other and probably be treated like some sort of subhuman, whilst I suffer underneath the heavy weight of knowing that this is Jase Turner in front of me.

"Sienna!" Lizbeth turns to me, wrapping her lavender-scented arms around my shoulders before I can back away. "Ugh, darling, it's so amazing to finally meet you!" She motions to Jase, who seems to find great interest in scraping the bottom of his Jordans against the brick wall siding. "This is my son, Jason. You two go to school together, right?"

"Yeah," I mumble, as my schoolmate stares at the ground.

"Oh, isn't that wonderful? You two know each other already!"

"Oh, yeah, we're really all Hakuna Matata up in here," Jase mutters, kicking a piece of gravel. He still doesn't bother to look up, his shaggy waves the closest I can see to his face.

"Jason, darling, Carrie and I have some things to discuss. I'm sure you don't mind giving Sienna a tour now, do you?"

He looks up, rolling his eyes like he can't even be bothered to be part of this conversation. "It would be my pleasure," he says, adding a low, deeply sarcastic bow. Lizbeth clearly either doesn't see or ignores this, making a (rather forced) smile at me that looks a little bit like a jack-o-lantern mouth carved into her face, all harsh lines and angles and not actually very happy at all. "Perfect! I'm just going to steal your mother for a little bit, Sienna. See you soon!"

And with that she grabs my mother's hand, shoving the door open with lightning speed before I can say anything. Not that I really would say anything, to be honest. I mean, what the hell do you say when the son of the woman your mother is now employed to is a massive douchebag and you'd rather not spend another second of your life with him?

And then the door slams shut and I'm stuck with Jase Turner.