CHAPTER TWO; TAKE ME HOME

chapter two
( afterlife )

                ODEYA DIDN'T know where she was going

ODEYA DIDN'T know where she was going. She didn't really know how to get home from the cemetery, it was just on the outskirts of Beacon Hills and she barely knew her way home from school. School, she couldn't even imagine school. In fact, she couldn't imagine anything being normal ever again. How was she supposed to explain to everyone how she was here? she didn't even know that herself.

She kept walking aimlessly, hoping she would be able to find someone, something she recognized. But she was surrounded by the forest, a couple of cars zooming past her as she walked on the side of the road. She knew it was risky considering it was nighttime and it would be hard for people to see her. But she needed to find someone she knew.

And Stiles, god she just wanted to be back home, sleeping in her own bed and under her family's care. She wanted to hear Stiles talk about everything she had missed, everything Scott and him had been up to. How Derek was doing. And her dad, she just wanted to hear him talking about some unsolvable case he was currently working on. She never knew she could miss such a chaotic little town so much.

"Odeya?" someone yelled.

She stopped in her tracks, looking around. Somehow she was now outside a store, a little section of the town that had a DVD rental and a bar beside it. How had she gotten here?

"Odessa!" the same person from before screamed. Only then did she remember she was looking for someone, someone knew her, maybe it was Stiles or Scott or even Derek, she had hope as she turned around and found the person. Only it wasn't any of the people she thought it had been. "You okay, Odessa?" he asked. He always called her by her full name, said it was beautiful and she shouldn't shorten it. He knew it annoyed her and that was partly what kept him doing it.

"L-Lucas?" she asked, mostly to herself. She hadn't seen him in nearly two years, she thought maybe he had even moved away. But he was here, standing right in front of her looking not a day older than the last time she saw him. "Lucas," she said letting out a sigh of relief.

He nodded, crossing the road and making his way toward her. He was staring at her like she were a ghost. "Are you, are you okay? you look a little. . ." he trailed off finding the right word. She looked down, realizing she looked insane in a white dress covered in dirt.

"Crazy?" she said for him.

He nodded, "Yeah, a little bit" he took off his jacket, handing it to her to cover up her shaken and underweight body. "What happened? you look like you were buried alive" he joked.

Odeya stayed quiet, unsure of what to say. How did she tell him she really was buried alive? She scratched the back of her head, "Do you know where the police station is?" she asked. If anybody was up at this hour it was her dad, and he would most likely be at work.

Lucas laughed, "Yeah" he replied, rubbing his hands together. It was September and already getting cold. He had no idea how she had been walking outside in this for whoever knows how long. "I-I can take you there, if you'd like" he offered.

Odeya's face lit up, "Could you?" she asked. "I know I might look a bit as you said crazy but I really need to see my dad and if anybody is up right now it's him" she explained, pausing. "Wait, what uh, what day is it?" she asked. It went completely over her head that she could have been dead for years.

Lucas furrowed his brows, but answered anyway, "Uh, September sixteenth,"

Odeya's face fell, last time she had been in Mexico it was almost summer break. She really had been gone for a long time. "And what year is it?" she asked panicking. How long had she been dead? had everyone forgotten about her already?

Lucas looked incredibly confused, "Twenty sixteen" he hesitantly replied. "Look did you have a bad trip or something? cause if you did I understand what you're going through but you look kind of. . .like crap. I'm just worried for you" he rushed out. He hadn't even known she was back in Beacon Hills.

She let out a relieved sigh, it hadn't been that long. Maybe a couple of months. "Can you just take me to my dad? please" she snapped. "Sorry, um, I will explain everything to you but I just really need to see my dad" she apologized, he was only trying to be nice but she didn't want to be here. She just wanted this whole day to be over already. She wanted to put this all behind her and live her life again. She was supposed to graduate this year. Move on to bigger better things, like college. She couldn't wait for college, just the idea made her face tingle.

He nodded a couple of times, "Yeah, yeah, yeah, of course. Come on, my cars parked a couple of blocks over" he said, putting his arm around her and ushering her into the direction he was parked.

Once they got to his car Lucas turned up the heat, which helped considering Odeya felt like an icicle. The entire car ride was silent, it wasn't because they had nothing to say or talk about but because there was too much to talk about and neither of them knew where to start.

Less then ten minutes later they parked outside the station, Lucas pulled out his keys and rubbing his palms against his pants nervously. "Well, we're here," he told her.

Odeya gulped, her throat feeling immensely dry. She couldn't wait to step inside his office, but she was scared. For once in her life, she didn't know what to expect. Would he be happy to see her? did he already move on and this would only make things worse? maybe they had moved out of town, it didn't seem too out of the blue considering she had died.

She looked over to Lucas, "Uh, you can just drop me off. I think I need to do this next part alone if that's alright" she admitted shakily.

Lucas stared for a brief moment and then nodded, "For sure, of course" he said unlocking the door. He could see how hesitant she was and he stepped out of the car, making it around to her side and opening the door for her, helping her out. "Just uh, text me later, okay? I really missed you" he awkwardly admitted.

Odeya almost wanted to laugh, the Lucas she was used to never showed his emotions. He was usually a stone-cold bitch, at least he used to be.

"For sure, thank you so much, Lucas, you have no idea how much this means to me" she thanked, taking off his jacket to give it back to him. He seemed more mature, older. He would have graduated last year since he was only a year older.

He stopped her, "No, no, keep it. You need it more then I do, you're freezing" he said putting it back on her.

Odeya awkwardly smiled and then pulled him into a long-awaited hug. "I missed you, Lucas," she said in his arms. He warmed her up immediately. His arms were grasped around her like she would disappear any minute.

"Missed you too, Odessa," he said back, holding her like a doll that would break.

She pulled apart and turned around to leave, looking back. "I'm not a crackhead" she rushed out. He tilted his head telling her to continue. "I just don't want you thinking I'm an addict or something. Just a. . .bad night" she explained.

"You're not a crackhead" Lucas repeated laughing.

Odeya inhaled and then continued walking toward the station. This could either go amazing or incredibly bad. She couldn't really tell. But she needed her dad more than she ever had in her life before. She needed to hear him, his voice. Smell his aftershave. Hear him tell her everything would be alright.

So she walked inside.

A/N: cliffhanger i know!

next chapter will be super-duper soft of course haha, hopefully, you guys like Lucas cause he might be a big character in this story 🤔

how is your day?