CHAPTER SIXTEEN; A FREE PASS

chapter sixteen
( afterlife ) 

THIS COULDN'T be any more embarrassing

THIS COULDN'T be any more embarrassing. Here Odeya was not even a day later, back at home with Stiles following right behind her. Derek sat in his car outside the house, waiting while she packed some clothes for the night. 

"So are you gonna tell me what that was about? back at Scotts?" Stiles asked when they finally made it to her room. He looked determined not to drop it, one of those looks on his face that meant he'd spend the entire night figuring it out if she didn't tell him. 

Odeya shrugged, "No, actually, I don't think I am. Cause it was nothing" she exclaimed, roughly throwing shirts and pants into her backpack.

He put his hands on his hips, reminding her of a teacher. "Odeya," he began, scratching a spot just above his brow he always did subconciously. "You had like a full-blown panic attack, Derek tried to touch you and you fell to the floor like he'd hit you. You weren't there, like a zombie" he tried to clarify. 

She shook her head, not bothering to look at him while she moved to find some socks. "It was nothing. Just been a long day, I thought I heard someone else and I was surprised, that's it" she promised falsely. 

"A long enough day where someone's voice could send you into a heaping pile on the floor?" he suggested, not holding back. 

She couldn't tell him about Carson, her ex. Nobody here knew anything about her relationship with him back then, how hard it had been and what ended up coming out of it. Nobody but Lucas and Lauren, one of which was dead now. They wouldn't understand, wouldn't look at her the same. No amount of trauma dumping was worth seeing that look. 

She shook her head, zipping up her backpack and throwing it on her back. "It was nothing, Stiles. Now drop it" she warned. 

Stiles wasn't sure what to make of this. He'd never seen his sister this messed up before, even compared to coming back from the dead she was never this messed up. He stopped her from leaving, putting his arms on her shoulders. 

"You're shaking, Daya. Haven't stopped since we left Scott's. Clearly whoever you thought you heard scares you. I don't like this," he said with warm eyes looking at her. "Just-just try me okay? Maybe I can help." 

Odeya debated it for a minute. A world where Stiles knew everything and his opinion of her didn't change. She couldn't imagine it. 

"I'm not..I cant. Not yet. Maybe eventually, I don't want to talk about it" she begged. 

He nodded profusely, "Okay, okay, I get it. Just – maybe it would help. Screw that actually, I know it would help. I won't do anything I wouldn't go looking for the person. I just want to understand." 

The room around her seemed smaller, more cluttered than she remembered. Everything seemed a little out of focus, a little heightened. She didn't like it. "I can't, Stiles. I just, I don't want to. I don't want to mess everything up. I don't wan't to talk about it and I certainly don't want to explain it and put myself in that again. I can't go through it again" she guaranteed.