Chapter 54: Sunglasses Girl and a World of Hurt

Start from the beginning

"Well, you need the help. That is obvious. If Dongin won't hire someone else to help you and you don't think it's best I show up here every week then I will hire someone and pay them out of my own pocket if I have to. You have to have time to heal. Know anybody needing work," I asked.

"Well actually I do. My son has been out of work for a while. He is 29, and a hard worker," Manuel suggested.

"Sounds good, call him up and get him over here," I replied.

Manuel got out his phone but stopped short of calling him. "But wait – what if Dongin finds out about him as well?"

I stopped working, coming down the ramp to stand in front of Manuel. Looking around the warehouse I saw about 5 other employees, all similar to Manuel in ethnicity and race. Dongin didn't know the name or background of any one of them, and he didn't care. I knew the name of each employee, their life history, and how badly they needed their jobs.

"Dongin won't find out because if he ever came on site, which I can almost guarantee he won't, he will just see another face that looks like the others. He doesn't care about anybody other than himself. It will be fine," I said.

Manuel called his son and within 20 minutes he was there and working, taking over for me while his father continued to count inventory with the others. I took the opportunity to check in with the other employees and then head into the homeless shelter to speak with the director. They were used to seeing me even if I was technically no longer an employee of Min Enterprises, and were respectful of my request to keep my prescence there hush hush.

A half hour later or so I was done, and decided to go see Lil and my mom. I called ahead of time just to make sure Dongin or my father weren't there for some reason, and they weren't. When I got there, the house was buzzing with activity – probably getting ready for Thanksgiving festivities. My mother had said she wanted to have a small get together of her friends and family. I wasn't sure how it was going to work out – I knew my father and brother would be there so I didn't want to come. If I didn't come, she would be hurt. I would need to figure something out.

I pulled into the garage and found Robert and Lil working in the area of the garage where there are freezers and refrigerators for dinner party supplies. Robert saw me right away but I shushed him from yelling out so I could sneak up on Lil. Her back was to me, half her body buried face down in a deep freezer as she organized the contents. She was on her tip toes, straining to reach inside.

"Robert! I can't get this moved over, can you....," Lil said, struggling to move some meat around. Before Lil could finish her sentence I ran up behind her and grabbed her legs, lifting her off the ground as she started to scream bloody murder.

"Wheelbarrow timeeeeeeeeeeeee," I yelled, her legs dangling now while I proceed tickling her waist.

Lil was now balancing on the edge of the freezer, wiggling like crazy to back out.

"WHAT IS GOING ON?! ROBERT YOU BETTER HELP ME – I'M STUCK I CAN'T GET OUT," Lil bellowed, wiggling like crazy, like a turtle on it's back.

Robert and I started to howl with laughter as we watched her struggle. Finally Robert couldn't take her yelling anymore and helped her out, her body swinging around with a rack of frozen ribs.

Before I got out of the way she slapped me hard with the frozen meat, making me yell out and fall into the SUV next to me, the frozen ribs crashing into the side of the car. The sound was so loud that the garage door flung open and out ran my mother and several staff.

"What is going on out here?! Oh my god, was there a burglar," my mother gasped, seeing me crumpled on the ground.

I groaned, turning over on my back and clutching my side. Robert came and helped me up, and Lil started to smack me.