Chapter 6: Red

"Red is energizing. It excites the emotions and motivates us to take action. It signifies a pioneering spirit and leadership qualities, promoting ambition and determination. It is also strong-willed and can give confidence to those who are shy or lacking in will power."

I stand in front of mirror while observing the person looking back at me, my thick winged eyeliner magnify the color and size of my eyes, while the bright red shade of my lips makes them look luscious and silky. My hand runs through the shoulder length blonde wig, that sits securely on my head. The hair reminds me of Julia Roberts in the movie pretty woman, oh how cliche.

My attention falls to the red dress that hugs my body like a second skin, enhancing each one of my curves. The dress finishes just above the knee while a cut out underlining shows the skin of my waist. A lace overlay covers the garment, securing the dress together to it's spaghetti straps. My finger glides across the neckline that sits comfortably against my plumped breasts.

I can't help but fall in love with it every time that I put it on, there's something about the color and style that makes me feel confident about myself. It allows me to look sexy and desirable while encouraging me to have the will-power to engage with customers. If it wasn't for the reason behind the dress, I would wear it day and night.

Taking my phone of the charging port, I switch the screen on to check the time, 6:00pm I'm running late! I scamper towards the end of the bed and pick up my golden stiletto heels, quickly placing them on, I collect my personal belongings and shove them inside my purse. I move my attention to the coat rack that sits in the corner of my room, I retrieve the red, trench coat and put each of my arms through it's sleeves, checking my appearance for the final time I fasten the belt of the coat around my waist, hiding
my dress from sight. I walk through my bedroom door and close it behind me.

The sound of my heels echo against the wooden flooring as I scamper towards the lounge, tapping away at my phone I bring up the Uber app to order a taxi, "No, no, no!" I growl in frustration and shove my phone back into my purse, the closest driver is 20 minutes away. How am I suppose to get to the hotel on time?

As my brain goes into overdrive, I notice my fathers keys laying upon the kitchen island, his truck... Without a second thought, I snatch the keys of the surface and run towards the front door. My steps come to an abrupt stop as I remember the presence in the room. Anxious, my jaw tenses as I turn my gaze towards the couch. A satisfying sigh escapes my lips as my eyes watch my father sleeping away, unmoved from his spot.

My dad was going to be absolutely pissed if he wakes up to see that he's truck is gone, I was properly going to get an earful when I return, but I was putting myself first for once, Even though my insides retch with disgust every time I go to work, I need this job. Worrying about my fathers transport so he can go to a bar is not a concern of mine.

I quickly pull out a notepad and pen from the kitchen drawer and scribble out a note, alerting my father when he awakes that I've took the truck for a couple of hours and will be back soon. Ripping the note from it's blinder, I place the note on the wooden coffee table that sits next to him and continue towards the front door.

***

"Good evening, madam."

I politely smile towards the young Valet while stepping out of the ranger, the engine groans roughly like a 50 year old man with a smokers cough as I cringe to myself. Embarrassment floods my body as I pass the keys to the gentleman.

"I apologise in advance, she's not a smooth ride."

A chuckle escapes his lips, followed by a small smirk as he takes the keys from me.

"Trust me, I've seen worse. Have a good night ma'm."

Jumping into the drivers seat, the valet starts the ignition and proceeds around the corner. My attention turns to the building in front of me as my eyes follow the castellar font. "Palace de crown."

My eyes widen in bliss as I take in the elegant establishment. A large, 3 tier water foundation sits at the bottom of a grand staircase that has golden flooring and a luxurious red runner. The long white and gold pillars with Meandros patterning stand tall, supporting the structure of the marble building. No wonder this place referred itself to a palace, you felt like royalty just by staring at it.

My hands tightly grip my purse as I ascend each step, My throat and chest instantly become tight as I begin to realise that I was way out of my comfort zone. The sudden urge to run back to my car and hide, haunted my mind. I stop my movements to re-collect my thoughts. Think about the money, Think about the New York. I shake my head, trying to clear away the daunting feeling within me while moving towards the entrance.

Straightening my posture, I walk into the hotel lobby and proceed towards the reception. My skin itches while my body temperature spikes, I hate feeling nervous. My body always betrays me by showing my true feelings. Lump in throat? Check. Sweaty hands? Check. Rigid posture? Check, check, check.

Placing my hands upon the mahogany desk, I press the bell that sits on top of the surface to alert the receptionist. A lady who appears to be in her late 30's appears in front of me, her dark, brown locks fall onto her wrinkle-free uniform. A golden tag sits on her chest with the name "Tanya."

"Welcome to Palace de crown, how may I help you today?"

Tanya stands, smiling like Cheshire Cat. I swallow, hating the feel of my heart punching against my rib cage.

"I have a reservation for a room."

Nodding, Tanya sits down in front of her computer.

"What is the name please?"
"DR or Doctor."

Protecting our own identities, DR informs us to say his initials or the word "Doctor" when requesting our rooms, nobody knows DR's real name and never will.

Her eyes shoot toward me as I see the brightness in her eyes turn into a fog of darkness, her teeth-whitening smile suddenly transforms into a grim thrown. My jaw clenches at the sour look on her face.

Her sudden change of reaction wasn't a surprise to me. DR corruptly pays many of the hotels I work at to allow his business to happen. Paying a large sum of money to each hotelier helps to implement an agreement of commitment and trust, It seems Tanya here, must of been alerted of DR being a loyal customer.

Leaping to her feet, Tanya retrieves 2 key cards and sets them upon the surface of the desk. Her index finger pushes them towards me, while her stare burns into my face.

"Enjoy your stay."

Sarcasm drips from her voice like a venomous snake As she sits herself back into her seat and turns her attention towards the computer, dismissing me like a piece of trash. Hoping for lasers to shoot out of my eyes and burn her to crisp, I snatch the cards of the counter while hissing under my breathe.

"Thank you so much for your help Taylor."
"Er... It's Tanya."

Turning away I head towards the bar while shouting over my shoulder. "Whatever."

***

I sit myself on the velvet bar stool while placing my purse on top of the bar, untying the belt around my waist I slide the trench coat of my body and set the clothing on the back of my seat. I retrieve my phone and check the time to see that it's 6:20pm. I check my messages to see if I have any miss calls or angry text messages from my father, luckily I find my inbox empty.

"What can I get you miss?"

My eyes travel up to the source of the sound to find a barman waiting for my response. His eyes open widely before his gaze shifts up and down my body. I watch as his tongue flicks out of his mouth and runs along the bottom of his lip. I tremble uncomfortably while adverting my eyes towards my purse, placing my phone back inside, I clear my throat, dismissing the mans interest by masking my face with boredom.

"Vodka cranberry."
"Have you got any ID love?"

Cringing at the nickname, I open my purse, take out my fake ID (courtesy of DR) and hand it over to the barman. "Make it a double." Nodding, the barman hands me the ID back and begins to make my drink.