Chapter 4: Intimidation

From where I sit, a large oak desk that is cluttered with files and folders separates me from Principal Figgins. I pick and peel at my chipped nail polish while quivering in my seat. I have never been summoned to the principals office before. What if I get expelled? Would my expulsion go on my record? Would this affect my college submission? A drop of sweat glides down my forehead as I quickly wipe it away with the back of my sleeve.

Finally gaining the courage to acknowledge the principals presence, I move my focus from the floor towards him. He sits there, unmoving, while waves of disappointment radiates from him. I try to swallow down the large lump that has formed in my throat, a nice glass of water would be great right now, or a Xanax. Deciding to bite the bullet, I begin to speak.

"I can explain w-"

He raises his hand to interrupt me while running the other through his thin dark hair, he lets out a heavy sigh.

"Miss Berry, you are one of our brightest students and have always behaved well, but I am very disappointed at what I have just witnessed, We do not condone such improper behaviour at this school! However-" I hold his stare, waiting for him to continue with his sentencing "I believe you're actions where provoked by Mr. Puckerman, going by his previous track record and current behaviour to students and teachers. So expulsion will not be an option today."

My mouth falls open in shock at the principals irked appearance and response, I try to control the small smug of satisfaction trying to claw it's way out of me, everyone has seen Noah's true colours and for that I am grateful.

"Whatever Noah's behaviour may have been, responding physically to the situation is not the correct solution. You will attend detention for the rest of the week so you can think about your actions."

Principal Figgins retrieves the detention slips from his draw and proceeds to fill it out, while his pen glides against the paper I can't help but feel pleased about the outcome. Yes, staying behind after school for an extra two hours each day will be absolute torture but comparing that to being expelled and potentially having my college submission at risk, a week worth of detentions is the equivalent of being slapped on the wrist.

Mr Figgins tears of the page from it's binder and hands it towards me.

"Miss Berry, I do not want anymore re-occurring trips to this office due to bad behaviour, do I make myself clear?"

I nod frequently like a bobble head as I take the slip from his hand. "Yes Mr. Figgins, nothing like this will ever happen again, I promise." I smile tightly as I quickly stand to collect my belongs and scamper towards the door, I turn the handle and dart from the room without a second glance.

Jogging down the abandoned corridor, I turn around the corner, out of sight of the principal's office and rest my body up against the lockers, letting out a long sigh. I reach into my backpack and take out my bottle of water while quickly unscrewing the lid and taking a much needed chug.

Who knew a sixty year old man could be so intimidating? Sitting in that office was becoming way to suffocating, the walls felt like they were slowly closing in on me with every breathe that I took while the aroma of disappointment smothered me like a custard pie to the face. Today's little scuffle was definitely an error of judgment that I won't reenact again.

"What's the punishment?"

Jumping away from the lockers in shock, I slap my hand over my throbbing heart, making sure it hasn't shot out of my chest. As I turn towards the sound of the voice, I find Finn leaning against the lockers with his arms crossed over his chest. His muscles flex under his tee as he looks at me and I look at all of him. Seriously, the kid was the definition of hotness. His body is so perfectly sculpted even Chris Evans would bow his head in shame.