Ch. 8: Heart Stopping News

Start from the beginning

He cut off and scratched his beard, looking a bit thoughtful before continuing. "One of my friends rescued her. She'd lived next door to them and threatened to go to the police if they didn't turn their dog over."

"Oh, poor thing."

"Yeah," he agreed. "But she's rambunctious. Very active and sweet. But she is twitchy around new people. I had to visit for an entire week before my friend would let her live with me."

"What's her name?"

"Burrito."

Naina stopped walking. "Burrito? What kind of name is that for a dog?"

"Like I said, they didn't really care about her well-being. But that's what she answers to." He shrugged, like it wasn't something he could control.

They walked in silence as she ate the banana.

Before she knew it, they were in front of the condos. His place was on the topmost floor, overlooking the entire center of the town square. In the distance, the sun rose high above the fields and neighborhoods surrounding the local area.

"She's staying with you?" Naina could hear a little scratching on the other side of the door as he turned the key in his lock.

"I can't let her live alone. Once the new place is done on the ranch, I'll live with her there until I can get a live-in doctor and manager for the clinic."

A beautiful dog greeted the both of them, panting slightly and looking like she was smiling. Her soft, grey-black colored fur shook as she backed up in the room while Ian walked in, cooing at her. Her belly sagged against the floor.

Naina had to hold back from squealing. Her hands were itching to pet the uber soft looking fur.

But she noticed the right ear, the one that looked like someone had bit it and taken a chunk out, and the small pock marks across her body.

Ian, as if reading Naina's mind, explained, "Her previous owners used to put out their cigarettes and cigars on her body."

Naina clapped her hand over her mouth and sat down on the floor. "Oh no..."

She looked up at him and asked. "What's the best way to not scare her and still be able to pet her?"

He smirked a little, like he was amused with her reactions. His hazel eyes were hooded as he lazily blinked. "Sit down and she'll approach you when she's ready."

Several minutes ticked by on the clock. Burrito skirted around Naina while she watched a news program Ian had put on his TV.

The apartment was furnished in a smart way; the furniture was either tan or jet black, matching with the TV stand. He was not extravagant, it seemed. As she glanced into his kitchen, taking note of the neat little table, something nudged her side.

Burrito had approached her! She poked Naina with her cute, button like nose.

She bit her lip, forcing (more like swallowing) a giggle down her throat. The dog walked around Naina before flopping onto her lap and resting her head on Naina's thigh.

Ian whispered in her ear, sending shivers down her neck, back and her lower half. "I think she's ready for you to pet her."

Her ear had gotten more sensitive. His breath tickled it, like a feather caressing slowly.

"What's her favorite spot?" she asked.

"Behind the ears."

Figures. She stifled another laugh and scratched Momma Burrito behind her ears. Her legs twitched in what seemed to be pure doggy happiness. As she glanced up with soulful eyes, she softly licked Naina's hand.

Naina melted into a puddle.

Well, at least her heart did on the inside. "Oh," she mumbled, dragging the syllable out. "You're so beautiful."

"Yeah, you are," he whispered.

She stiffened, immediately sprouting roots into the wooden floor, and turned to him. "Huh?" she asked; her voice had cracked a bit.

"Burrito. I swear, she's a sweetheart." His face was devoid of emotion and he raised an eyebrow.

"Right, yeah, totally," she babbled. Her faced burned beet red. Stupid, idiot, moron. He's talking about the dog! Not you! No one would ever say that about you!

At least, not when Lauren was around.

"What were you thinking?" There was a slight edge to his voice.

Before she could answer, someone knocked on the door.

He stared at her. She could feel it in her peripheral, like an angry hornet's nest, buzzing incessantly.

Then the knocking started again, and Dominic's voice came through the wall.

"Ian? You in there? I've got some important news!"

Ian sighed, grumbled something, and walked away towards the door. Naina slowly scratched Burrito's soft back, tracing lines in the fur.

"Oh Naina! You're here, this is so perfect." Lauren's annoying, falsely cheerful voice permeated the apartment.

Naina turned just in time for Lauren to give Ian a tight hug and felt a shard of glass slowly slither into her heart.

She faced back the to the TV, watching the news program like she was interested in the ongoing bitching within politics.

Lauren and Dominic sat on the sofa across from Ian and clasped each other's hands.

"What's the news?" Ian asked. He had a bored voice, like this happened a lot with his brother.

They looked at each other and let out a long, happy sounding sigh.

"We're engaged!"

~~~

Yayy...great for them right?

Let me know what you thought about this chapter please, and thank you always for taking time to read my story! :P And if you can, please leave a vote!