32 ➳ Kian Karrington

RUNNING

FOR MILES

"Eden!" My father's voice yelled as I came down the stairs all dressed and ready for school.

This morning felt as though it was somewhat chaotic in the Rivers household. My father had stayed late at the station and he had slept in this morning so now he was kind of running around like he was a headless chicken.

"Yes?" I asked as snatched a piece of Sammy's toast off of his plate.

"Hey!" he said with a mouthful of food.

I rolled my eyes, "Oh shush."

"Any way you two, I'm off to work." Dad said as he sipped his hot coffee and started to walk to the door.

"Um, dad?" I asked, "I think you're forgetting something." I said as Sam tried desperately not to laugh.

My father looked at himself, he was shocked yet surprised to see that he was pretty much all dressed except for his shirt, that seemed to not be on his body. The missing clothing exposed his somewhat beer belly that had a little bit of hair on his chest and around his belly button.

"Oh my!" he yelled gasping, "Pumpkin could you run down and get my shirt out of the dryer, I have to go find my tie!" he yelled as he slammed his travel mug and briefcase down onto the kitchen bench,

I laughed, putting my bag down next to his belongings on the breakfast bench. I then made a beeline for the creepy basement as that was where our washing machine and dryer were located. I think it's a pretty odd place for them to be kept, as it seems so far away.

Opening the door and turning on the light, I walked down the creaky wooden steps that led to my creepy basement. I remembered the time when I had walked down here with Lila and how she pretty much complained the whole time, something about her allergies or something from the dust but I was more afraid of spiders if I'm being honest.

Wait why did we even come down here in the first place?

As I tried to remember why Lila and I had even come down here in the first place, I paused the dryer and dug around for my father's shirt. Once I had found it, I started to make my way out when something had caught the corner of my eye.

It was a box labeled 'Sewing'.

For some reason the box was calling my name, I had the urge to go to it but I didn't really know why. I slung dad's shirt over my shoulder as I pulled the box off of the shelf. I hadn't realized how heavy it was until I had almost dropped it on the floor.

Peeking into the box and begging the heavens above that there wasn't a spider in there about to jump out at me, I gazed into it as it rested on my thigh. I got a glimpse of sewing needles and a million different colored threads but the most interesting thing in there was a sewing machine.

And as if a light bulb had lit in my head, I had remembered why Lila and I had come down here a few months ago, it was to find the sewing machine so she could fix my emerald green school skirt, the one I was wearing right now.

"Eden!" a muffled voice yelled.

I let out a sigh as I decided to take the heavy box back upstairs with me. I turned off the light and only just managed to shut the door behind me. I put the box down onto the kitchen table as I then passed my dad his shirt.

"Thanks, pumpkin." he said as he started to button up his shirt, "What's your mother's sewing machine doing up here?"

I froze at the mention of my mother, I hadn't realized that the box had belonged to her. It kind of hurt as not once these last few months had I heard even a slight comment about my mother.