14. Seeking Safety In Other People

Start from the beginning

"Interested in a little trade baby?" he said and cocked his head at me, resting his forehead on the window.

I shook my head, "no, fuck off and tell your friend to fuck off out of my way."

He looked like he was ready to break my window in that moment and that was enough for me to rev my engine at the guy standing in front of me and let him know I was willing to run him over because I was not spending another second there. The guy looked like he was taunting me and suddenly I grew a pair and just stomped on the gas, propelling forward as the guy jumped out of the way and I began speeding down the street — just as the light inside my car turned on signalling that the guy had opened my door. I was hyperventilating, almost crying in shock but I didn't stop driving even though I was heading in the wrong direction. One hand on the wheel and the other holding my door closed for dear life until I stopped at a red light and opened and closed it properly.

I was beginning to calm down and tell myself I was fine and that I was going to be okay and I didn't need to freak out because it was just a bunch of kids being assholes...when I looked into the rear view mirror and realised a car was following me. And in the front seats were the two boys who'd approached me. The car was right up against the back of mine, they were so close I could see their faces.

My hands started slipping from the steering wheel as they became glazed in sweat, I was so close to crying that I had to hold my breath to keep it steady as I took turn after turn trying to shake them from my trail. Even narrowly missing running a red light but they were still following me. Not knowing what else to do I began driving toward the nearest police station because I knew it would scare them off. And it did. Once they realised where we were going they turned off and sped away as I slowed to a stop in front of the police department, trying to catch my breath.

Okay. You need to get home. Now. They're not following you anymore. It's okay. You're okay. Just get home so you know you're somewhere safe.

But when I did get home. I didn't feel safe. I felt like they were still creeping behind me and it was the second I stepped in my house that panic set in. I began crying, hiding in my bedroom, shutting the door and closing the curtains in front of the windows so I knew no one could see me. I felt sick. I felt like there was bugs under my skin and all over the floors. I felt like there were eyes peering through the cracks of the curtains on my windows and hands hovering over the doorknob of my bedroom door. I felt like I wasn't alone. Like someone was breathing down my neck.

I quickly took out my phone and called Christian, my eyes flicking from my door to my windows. Please pick up Chris. Please please pick up.

"Hello?" His voice triggered a sigh of relief to escape my lips.

"Chris? Chris oh my god," I exhaled, breaking down immediately.

"What's wrong are you okay?" Christian asked.

"No, no I'm...can you come here please?" I begged. "I don't feel safe. I don't feel safe can you please come here I'm at home."

"What? What happened?" Christian asked, clearly keeping his voice down. I forgot he was out at a dinner.

"I was walking to my car from work and these two guys started calling out to me and they came up to my car and tried to stop me getting out and wanted to take my necklace and then I got away but then they started following me and I lost them and got home but I don't feel safe Christian. I feel like they followed me still and I'm scared," I bawled, sitting on the floor by my bed and hugging my knees to my chest.

"Orion calm down," Christian said, "you're okay. It was probably just some kids playing a stupid prank trying to freak you out. If you lost them they didn't follow you home, don't scare yourself."