04. Open Wounds

Chapter Four

        Open Wounds

        The car ride to Derek's place was silent and mostly because of me. I didn't dare open my mouth and I refused to as well. Come on, I just found out that I have this "Seven Wonders" thing going on and it came from my deceased mother's bloodline. That's a lot to take in especially for a sixteen year old girl. Stiles had tried to talk to me saying stuff like "Hey" and "How are you". But I would brush him off saying "I'm fine". From this point on I fell like I'll be saying "I'm fine" more often and I won't mean it once.

        After a few minutes of pure silence, Stiles glanced over at me, worried, and spoke up, "Are you sure you're okay Shay?"

        I nodded, "Yeah, I'm fine."

        Obviously he hadn't believed me and I knew later today he would start pestering me and wouldn't stop. Stiles always wanted to know what was going on with me and how I was doing. Not really in an over-doing it, overprotective way but in a caring kind of way. I appreciate his compassion and it just hurts me much more knowing I wouldn't be able to tell him about me.

         When we arrived at Derek's old house, it wasn't really anything. Half of it burned down from the Hale fire years ago and the other half barley holding together, everything else just ashes and ruins. Stiles parked his jeep and we unbuckled out seat belts, quickly getting out of the car and rushing to the door. It was cracked open but painted a thick yet lazy coat of red.

        I pushed my attention away from the door, walking into the house with Stiles following behind. Right when we walked into the room, we saw Derek and Scott sitting across from each other, Derek's bright red eyes looking over Scott's arm, his eyes narrowed in concentration. 

        "Yeah, I see it. Two bands, right?" Derek said until his eyes went back to normal and he shifted his gaze to Stiles and I, "What are you two doing here?"

        "I invited them here." Scott answered for us.

        Derek looked like he wanted to argue but decided against it, "What does it mean?"

        Scott shrugged, "I don't know, it's just something I traced with my fingers." While talking softly, he traced something in the sand on the ground. A circle within a larger circle.

        "Why is this so important to you?" Derek asked, wanting to know why Scott had wanted this tattoo to show up so badly.

        "Do you know what the word 'tattoo' means?" Scott asked.

        Before Derek could even think of an answer, Stiles did, "To mark something." Sending a wink Derek's way much to his annoyance. I just stifled a laugh, covering my mouth with my hand.

        "Well that's in tahitian. In samoan, it means 'open wound' . I knew when I turned eight teen I wanted to get a tattoo. I always wanted one. I just decided to get it now, to make it a reward."

        That intrigued my curiosity, "For what?"

        "For not calling or texting Allison all summer, "And when he said that, his face softend with sadness and I can only imagine the heartbreak he went through, "Even when I really wanted to, even when it was so hard not to sometimes. I was trying to give her the space she wants. Goin' four months later, it still hurts. It still feels like a, uh..."

        Scott couldn't find the right word to describe his agony of Allison but I knew the perfect word that describe both him and I's current wave of sadness, "Like an open wound."