Chapter Six

CHAPTER SIX

Allen nodded, unnerved by the grim tone of Mr. Hancock. If all he wanted was a casual chat about Justine, or to try to gather information, he was going about it all wrong.

Even just the hostile tone of voice sent Allen into guard mode, his walls up and his senses alert.

"You and Justine have been good friends for how long now?"

"Eight years," he answered quickly.

"And how long have you known each other?"

"Long before that. I don't know when exactly.

"And you didn't immediately become friends, is that correct?"

"Yes, when we were much younger, I hated her for a time."

"Would you say any of that still resides within you?"

Allen had to fight to keep his face from scrunching. He couldn't actually think that his six-year-old self's opinion on Justine still stuck with him, could he?

"No, it was just a silly childhood feud. We got over it once we actually started talking."

"And you are how old now?" Mr. Hancock asked, jumping from topics quickly.

"Seventeen," Allen said.

"And you'll be eighteen when?"

"March 21."

"So you were . . . nine when you met?"

"That's right."

"Okay," he said. He still hadn't taken out a pad of paper, or showed any signs of writing this down. Allen assumed it was to do with the lack of crime, therefore lack of experience this department would have.

Despite that, a chill ran down his spine. Sitting in this office felt . . . unsettling. Like it hid darkness and worse fates.

"So, tell me, did you guys hang out on the day she disappeared."

Allen swallowed.

"Yes."

"Alone?"

"With three of our other friends," he answered. His palms were growing sweaty at the nature of this; it felt hostile, more like an interrogation than a friendly conversation.

"Would you mind my asking what you did?"

Allen knew he wasn't actually being given a choice, but held his tongue and answered, "We went down to Lorrel's Edge."

"Lorrel's Edge?" he questioned, a strange hint of skepticism and condescension peppering his voice.

Allen affirmed the question with a nod.

"Now, what would you kids be doing down there?" He was speaking about it as if that was something against a set of rules they weren't aware of. Allen felt his heart speeding up and heat spreading through his body. Had they done something wrong? If they had, he wasn't sure if he could live with the guilt of it.

"Just hanging out. We laid on the rocks and soaked up the sun." Then, as an afterthought, as if to ameliorate the act if it had been wrong, he added, "I'm sure people do it all the time."

"You do know the legend involving Lorrel's Edge, don't you?" His voice was filled with content, as if he'd gotten Allen on something he was unaware of.

"Of course I have," Allen answered. "It's absolutely ridiculous."

"Ridiculous?" Mr. Hancock seemed to be genuinely surprised at that one, leaning back in his chair. "I'm not sure which one you're thinking of, my friend, but it must be wrong."