Chapter 4

Chapter 4

"Giovanni, Anthony, Frank and Lucas these are my parents Doctor Vince and Greta Valentino; mom and dad this Giovanni, Anthony, Frank and Lucas." I introduce the crowd of people in my living room. So so awkward right now.

"Nice to meet you," my mom says shaking each man's hand. My dad though just gives them a stare down as if he already knows them. "What are you doing here?" Dad asks in a rude manner.

"To protect my granddaughter, Vince." Giovanni kindly replies.

"So Giovanni is your grandfather. Then how are you relative to the others?" My mom asks looking between me and the other men. Quickly I try to explain, "Anthony is my father, Frank is a family friend and Giovanni's business partner. Lucasismyfiancé."

"What was that last part?"

"Lucas is my fiancé." I whimper out hiding behind my real father.

"Fiancé!?" My parents loudly scream out. One out of excitement and the other out of anger. "Don't worry, this is the only way to protect Catalina and the family business. She needs to protect that the Mortelli family is willing to give." Giovanni explains to them.

"You are only eighteen! You can't marry someone! You are throwing away your life dreams!" Dad yells at me.

"This is my dream, okay? This whole medical shit was always your dream. I'm not going to University, instead I am marrying Lucas and taking over the family business. If you don't like it than I'll leave with them and Ryanne!" I yell out. I'm standing directly in front of my parents even cussed a little. Holy snicker doodles, that was a little scary to do. "Bastardo! (Bastard!)" That word leaves everyone's mouth as Vince slaps me across my right cheek. "My daughter will not marry! My daughter will not take I've any family business!" He screams.

I just melt to the floor lightly touching my stinging cheek. Crying out, I watch as Dad marches to his office without another word. Mom running after him to calm him down, Giovanni and Frank follow her. "I'm sorry," I whisper out letting Lucas pick me up bridal style. "It will be okay," Lucas softly whispers back carrying me out to the black SUV. "I'll find her friend and have her pack Catalina and herself a bag." Anthony tells Lucas running back into the house. "Start the car." Lucas orders the driver.

The car loudly rumbles to life as Lucas gently sets me on the black leather back seat. "Thank you," I whisper out leaning my head back. I stare up at the black roof thinking how things could only get better from here. I want to see my parents again, they have sacrificed a lot with me being their daughter. Now I am being taken away by practical strangers. "Where are we going?" I ask Lucas who is pacing the car and checking his phone.

"We are going to Giovanni's vacation house in Hawaii. Then this fall we are going to Italy then back to New York for winter." Lucas explains our seasonal travels. "Why so many places?"

"We will get married in Italy first with our families than in New York for the business associates to come." Lucas seems cold and distant on the subject of us getting married. I'm practically the reason why is twenty something guy even has to settle down. "I'm only twenty-two." I hear Lucas say.

"Did I just talk out loud?" I ask ready to take any cold laugh or a rude voice. Instead a smirk is just placed on his lips as he goes back to pacing. "Let's go." Giovanni calls out in an angered way. "I will ride with Giovanni and Anthony. You two go ahead and leave." Frank orders his son.

"Go," Lucas orders his driver. "What's wrong?" I ask looking back at my childhood home and I see Ryanne's figure get into the car with my father before their own car leaves. "We have trouble." Lucas breaths out watching as four SUV's pass by us. I watch one turn around following us. "Step on it!" I scream out as the passenger pulls out a gun.

"Catalina get down!" Lucas orders as he pulls out his gun firing back at the people. Bullets zip past me and connect with the seats, glass and doors. "Damn it!" I look up to see Lucas flinching his right arm, he must have gotten shot. "Gimme the gun," I mutter out looking for Lucas's gun which fell onto the floor.

"Catalina, Don't!" Lucas yells out in pain as I sit to and aim the gun directly at thee person. When I was younger, my dad took me to a range where I would shoot my bow and arrow. This couldn't be too different in aiming. "Bang." I whisper out pulling the trigger. Blood seems to lightly splatter on the glass, I killed someone. "Oh no," I whisper out sinking. "I killed someone," I mutter crying.

"Drive!" Lucas screams at the driver holding his arm. "It's okay, Catalina." Lucas whisper touching my arm with his blood stained hand.

"Airport or hospital?" The drive asks. "Airport" "hospital" Of course, Lucas has no care in the world about his arm, while I do. "On the plane is your grandmother who has been a nurse all her life. She is usually the one to bandage us up." Lucas explains.

This day just got tons of more fun. I have been slapped, shot at, and now I am going to meet my grandmother.