Chapter 24 - Prison Break

It had been a few days since the commotion at the city Takaroth had occupied. Leyon was just about ready to murder Lasair or Kylian, and Halian was acting edgier than ever. They'd been fed the bare minimum, and nobody could tell whose stomach periodically rumbled anymore.

Adrian sat up with a groan, saying, "We have to get out of here! At this rate, we'll all starve to death, or Halian will end up drinking up all of our blood."

Halian looked up, "Hey! I'd rather NOT be in this situation, but what can I do? I'm doing my best to keep the instincts hidden, but I'm sure that a controlled... feeding... would be better than me coming out one night and murdering you all for blood."

Zaiela shuddered, "You did not have to mention that, Halian."

A loud snore interrupted them, and everyone turned to the source of the noise - King Kashius of Sanobar. He gave another bearlike snore and turned on his side, sleeping on.

Zaiela looked at him, "I'm starting to get worried. Ever since that day we got dropped in here, right after mother's death, father's been sleeping like this. He hasn't woken up at all in five days!"

Adrian wasn't worried at all, "He'll be fine! You know him - his way of dealing with things is to sleep. It's us we should be worrying about. Any ideas for how to get out? The Guardians will be getting further away from us with every day we stay here!"

Kylian and Lasair glared at each other, but then grinned, "This is our time to shine!"

In unison, they turned to the others and spoke, "We have a plan!"

Kylian spoke over Lasair, and lasair scowled, then repeated, "We have-" He looked at Kylian and then said in a fierce whisper, "No! I'm supposed to say this! You should be telling them the plan! Remember, dunghead?!"

"Hey! It's dark brown hair, I'll have you know, dirtbag! And I was supposed to say the beginning! You agreed!"

Adrian sighed, then stalked over to the pair and pried them apart before they came to serious blows. Then he gave a sinister smile and said, "Now, now... No arguing. I'm in a foul mood and you are annoying the crap out of me. Next time, I won't hesitate to give a sound thrashing when you need it!"

The whole atmosphere of the room seemed to darken, but Adrian released them without doing anything, but Kylian and Lasair were so shaken that they stopped the arguments.

"Okay... We know you think we're annoying," Lasair began, and Adrian and the rest nodded vigorously.

Kylian scowled, "No need to be so open about it! We get it. Anyways, we're gonna rile up the guard and then you bash his head in and we all escape!"

"Ehh..." Leyon muttered, unsure that such a plan would work.

Adrian, however, looked pleased, "Great! What do we have to lose, anyways?"

Leyon glanced over at him, "Our lives."

"Well, yeah... but besides that, you know!" Adrian stuttered, but then recovered, "Listen, brother, I'm not rotting away here without trying my best to escape! So do me a favor and either help or shut up!"

Leyon got up and put his arm on Adrian's shoulder, "Just what I'd expect from the Crown Prince of Sanobar," He said with a smile, "I'm in!"

Adrian nodded, then turned to Lasair and Kylian, "Do it."

They grinned and sauntered over to the bars of the prison and looked at the Demon, seizing him up.

Then they grinned at each other, "Ugly leathery skin? Check. Hooves? Check. Horns? Check. Dirtbag? Absolutely!"