Chapter 7 - The Alpha

A large wolf prowled the forest. With a coat of deep black and ruby eyes, it was fearsome to see. He was the leader of his pack, having been raised among them, having risen the ranks and finally fought the Alpha for the position of pack leader. He spoke through his bond, "The vampires are to the north. I can scent them."

An equally large grey wolf ran beside his leader. He whined, "Be careful, Alpha Daryn. The Ruins loom ahead. It will do us no good to trifle with the gods."

Daryn inclined his head very slightly, "Thank you for the warning, Alsien. Sometimes I wonder why you are a Beta, and not an Alpha."

Slowing his pace, Daryn walked, his four large paws making little sound as they touched the ground.

Alsien followed suit, "I never could stomach the fighting." He said ruefully.

The black wolf showed it's teeth in what could only be described as a wolfish grin and laughter rippled down the bond.

Then the sound of bones cracking could be heard. The black fur changed to skin, bones rearranged themselves and a man stepped forth from where there had been a beast before. His hair was long and matted. It was also the same colour as the fur of the wolf he had been a few moments before. His face was gaunt and his eyes startlingly green against his face. He wore black clothing, outlined in subtle gold. Daryn wore a tunic that reached to his knee on the right and stopped mid-thigh for the other leg. He wore a belt and had soft leggings on. His boots reached above the knee and had soft flaps on each side of it. Magic kept the clothes from shredding, as did the magic keep the natural pain of shifting at bay.

Moments later, the grey wolf had shifted too, and Alsien stood next to his leader. He wore a travelling robe with holes for his arms. He wore hunting gear and had muddy blonde hair. He wore a leather vest that reached to his knees. It was buttoned shut with a long length of buttons at the side of the garment.

"I never liked the bloodsuckers," Alsien grumbled.

Daryn smirked, "All the more reason to hunt them down. After all, they are on my territory."

He tipped his head back and howled.

Immediately, shadows peeled away from the trees. Wolves crept forward from everywhere, shifting into their human forms. Three figures joined Daryn and Alsien. One was a male, and had bright red hair and freckles. He had a scar that cut through one eye, and wore clothes that stuck to his body. He, also, wore a belt with a dagger in it.

"Hi, Cazein. Gather the pack, will you?" Daryn greeted him.

Cazein gave a mocking bow and turned to address the pack.

The other was also male, with a silent aura. He had dark magenta hair that brushed his eyes, covering his right one. He wore a mask that covered the lower half of his face and also wore a hat drawn down over his hair. He was dressed in all magenta, of varying shades. He had a tunic that reached to mid thigh and was open at the middle. He had a belt that kept it shut. Underneath he wore a skintight black shirt and leggings. There was a strip of gold that traced each sleeve and leg. He had hardened magenta armour pieces attached to his arms, covering his wrist and upper hand. He also had the same ones protecting the front of his legs. With crisscrossing belts, he had two daggers in the sheaths.

Daryn simply gave the male a grin, "About time, Azlin! As my Gamma, you should have been with me at the Howl."

The third was a female.

"Reporting, Alpha," She said.

"Always so serious, Anbyn," Cazein joked, reappearing. He lopsided grin was infectious, and Daryn smiled. He was home. Being with Ryhon was... strained. Neither was the twin from years ago. Daryn was wolfkin and Ryhon was... undead. Both had lead different lives, that meeting again had made Daryn realize that that brotherly relationship could never be salvaged. Brothers by blood, maybe, but never the deep relationship that the twins had. He and Ryhon had parted ways after he had admitted that he needed time to process things. He supected Ryhon had agreed easily because he, too, desired a bit of distance to think things over. He had rallied his pack, the Wolfskins, to rid the world of vampires. Daryn and his pack had recently caught the scent of a pack of them, with one having the stench of royalty. Daryn believed it likely that it could be Vesan and his band of followers - Those who were left after Lirya and her friends' brutal attack on them.