It's Over

My mom comes home and I tell her everything. Literally everything. We pause, in silence, as she gathers her thoughts. "You know what, Maya? Although, I like that he trusts you so much, I don't like that he considered using you to start the downfall of Mason." She starts. I knew she'd be upset. "He should have never thought to put you in that kind of danger. But on the other hand, from what I've seen and heard, he seems to want to do right by you." "Heard from who?" I but in. I barely talked to her about Dre, unless he was coming over while she was home. "You know these streets talk." She smirks. "But seriously. You could've gotten hurt. We don't know this Mason, Big Mase. He clearly didn't care about you, if he never heeded anything you said. Not for you, not for Mila." Speaking of Mila, I gotta call her later and update her. "I know. It just all started happening so fast, you know? My friends had my back..." "But all of y'all are kids. I don't care if you're 18. You're still young and them gangsters are not to be messed with." "I know." I lower my head.

"So what's next?" She asks. "Well honestly, we won't know for sure, until Dre hears what's going on in the streets. They need to know exactly what Mason did to each of their families, before he can come out of hiding. He says right now, they're fact checking." I answer. "Well what about you? What are you going to do? How can we be sure that no one is going to come after you?" "I guess we won't know until Dre does." Me and my friends been staying hella low, since all this went down. We don't leave the house for anything that isn't emergency. Our Sunday park days are now spent on FaceTime, scrolling through social media together. 

***

I roll over, in my bed, slightly dreading to get up but my phone is ringing. My grogginess fades away, once I see it's a FaceTime call, from Dre. I quickly answer, even though I literally look like sleep. "Hey." I answer. "Open the door." He says. I pause, for a second, before actually going to my front door. I haven't had the opportunity to ask my mom if it's okay for him to be here. "Hey." He simply says, when I open  the door. "Why are you here?" I quietly scold and pull him in. "Maya, it's okay." He says, with a laugh. "Everybody knows the truth now. I mean, some people are pissed at me for not saying nothing but they know my life clearly at risk. I couldn't say shit." "Shhh." I whisper. "I need to let my mom know..." "No need. You're not as quiet as you think." My mom says, coming out of her room. "Hey, Dre. I take it our lives are no longer in danger." She stands across from us, with her arms folded, parent style. " Yes ma'am. We are all safe. I hear Mason is getting life without parole and the hood is too pissed at him to be too mad at me." Dre answers. She stares for a moment. "If my child gets hurt, you're going to wish Mason killed you." The words stung him, I can tell. His face says it all. "This is my only baby and I cannot lose her, you hear me?" "Yes ma'am. I promise." Dre answers. Then, to our surprise, she pulls him in, for a hug. I know he needs it. 

Dre and I make our way to my room, once my mom goes into hers. "I done seen a lot of shit but that was intense." Dre says, while holding his chest and making me laugh. "Well you heard her. I'm her only baby." I say, mocking my mom. "You know I never met a girl's mom?" He asks, with his head down. It doesn't surprise me. What mom would want to meet a drug dealing gang banger, that's cool with their daughter. "I'm not surprised but I'm happy you chose my mom." I laugh a little. "I'm gone have to lose a lot of money and possibly some respect but...It's time for me to get out the business." I just stare at him because I'm confused as to why he's mentioning this. "I'm tryna be with you, Maya and you ain't the type to be dealing with a nigga like me...so I gotta change my life. Let us live in my other lifestyle." I'm trying not to smile so hard but I can't help it. Ever since I realized I liked him, I hoped this would happen. I just never thought it would. I don't even know what to say.

He stands up from my desk chair and walks toward me. My heart is racing so fast. He gently grabs my face and kisses me. The kiss grows more and more intense. For a while, I forgot where we were. I finally pull back. "My mama will kill me." I say. "Sorry." Dre laughs. But then he just pecks me again. "So bad." I laugh and sit back down. "So are you. You just tryna hide that shit. I'm get it out of you though." He smirks. I throw one of my pillows at him. "What you doing tomorrow, anyway?" I change the subject. "I was hoping to be here with you and your fam." He answers. "You wanna spend another Holiday with us?" Tomorrow's Christmas and I love that holiday just as much as my birthday. "With you, really." This cheesy side of Dre is really gone make me fall for him.