Move In Day

Even though it's like 7AM, I happily pack my car, with all my new stuff. I was in such a funk this past week, I spent like $500 on new clothes and shoes. It also helped that Dre had already bought most of the stuff I needed for my dorm. Normally, my mama would chew my head off but she's been good financially and I have too, with Mason's money. Plus I'll be getting my refund about a month into school. To be honest, I don't even need to find a part time job, for school, like I had planned. My mom makes enough, now and I'm about to have about $13,000 to my name. That's more than a lot of people can say. I see Keisha and her mom coming down, with some of her stuff. We're still salty about our lil argument. "Y'all about to be roommates and y'all been best friends forever. Fix whatever it is, right now!" Keisha's mom yells. It shocks us both so we end up laughing. "Crazy asses." She shakes her head.

"I'm sorry Maya. I just wanted something different, ya know?" Keisha says, in a low voice, so her mom doesn't hear. "But is he really different?" I ask and squint my eyes at her. "Nah not for real." She laughs. "We saw hella fine boys at school. You can leave Josh and Quez right here." I say and pull her in, for a hug. "I know , I know. You always right about something." She groans. "You too! You just don't care." I laugh. She could literally have a 4.0, if she tried. "True!" She says, before heading back up. We're both almost done and we have a check in time of 9AM. I plan on getting there early, since I know it's going to be hella traffic.

"Is that everything?" My mom asks. "I think so." I answer. "I can't believe that boy paid for all your stuff." She shakes her head. "Just be careful, okay? He gone want something in return." She points her finger. Little does she know, I might be risking my life, for him, soon. "Mama, I'ma be okay." I try reassuring her. She just kisses my forehead. "Alright girl, let's gone head and get on this road. Traffic is never nice, around this time." She says. It's right at 7:15AM now and we definitely need to hit the road. I check my room, one last time, to make sure I'm not leaving anything I need. It's wild to think that I won't be sleeping here, until like November. "This is it." I say and close my door. I text Keisha, to let her know we're leaving and her late ass needs to hurry up. I get into my own car and my mom follows behind.

By the time we get to school, it's like 8:35. I really should have gotten here earlier but I'm hoping that it's not too many people with a 9AM appointment. Thankfully, we were able to choose our roommates, for the school year. We may fall out every now and then but there's no other girls I'd rather room with than Keisha and Daisy. I just hope this doesn't hurt our friendships. Maybe the fact that we have our own separate rooms will help. Lord knows Daisy will love it. She's never had her own room, before. I'm not tryna see Carlos all the damn time, though. Or Quez. Or Josh.

We stand in line, for about 20 minutes, before being able to check in. "Hi, what's your name?" The girl with the name "Britt" on her name tag asks. "Maya Wilson." I answer. She scrolls through her list and finds my name. "Okay, here is your key. You're in this building, lucky for you. ID pictures are available for pick up, to your left, if you took it during orientation." "Thank you." I smile and head for my ID. I'm just ready to start unpacking.

I get to my room around 9:30 and I'm the first one. Daisy is looking for parking, Trevor is getting checked in and Keisha still on the way. Smh. "Well, let's get to cleaning." My mom says. I refuse to unpack anything, without cleaning the hell out of this place. I'm sharing a bathroom with Keisha, so I know our bathroom won't be too hard to keep clean. I get the bathroom cleaners and smile, thinking about how Dre bought me pretty much all this stuff. It starts to hit me that I might actually miss him. I'm sure he'll call and all that but he's been laying so low, I don't know if he'll come this way. I shake my thoughts and begin cleaning.

Once we finish cleaning and bringing everything into the dorm, we head for the grocery store. My mom's gift to me is getting all the groceries and decorations I want. Maybe an appliance or two. It's four girls, with one fridge, though. I don't know how that's going to work. "Of course it's packed." My mom says, eyeing all the obvious freshman. "Great, the lines gone be long." I say and roll my eyes. "Let's just try to get in and get out." I grab a cart and head for the home side. We agreed that I would get a double toaster, Keisha's getting a toaster oven and Daisy's getting a blender.

***

My room is finally to my liking, around 3PM. All of our parents are gone and we're just sitting here taking it all in. Our dorm door flies open and it's Trevor. "We definitely gotta keep this door locked." Daisy says, making us laugh. "Don't do me like that." Trevor says. "Man, it's some fine ass girls in y'all building. I gotta stay over here." "I thought you were a changed man." Keisha says. "Fuck that! I just seen my future wife, across the hall." We all crack up laughing.

I'm interrupted by a call from Dre, so I step into my room. "Hey." I answer. "How's the dorm thing going?" He asks. "Pretty good. Mostly everything is put away and in place. Thanks again." "It's all good." "What's going on over there?" He sighs, so I know it's about to be some shit. "Man, I just don't know who to trust. I feel like Josh been moving differently, ever since this shit with Mase started." "Ugh. Then Keisha ass been talking to him." "Damn it's true?" Dre asks. "Yep. I seen him leaving my building the other day but I didn't know until Trevor told me." "Damn, that's not a good look." "I really hope she leaves his ass alone." "Me too. He might try to turn her into something she's not." "I'm not losing my best friend to this nigga." "Just keep an eye out. You see she kept it from you." Dre says, making a point.

*** Filler Chapter***