Chapter 23: Out Of Tricks

Começar do início

His smile slipped from his face as we made eye contact. Quickly, he pulled down his sleeves.

"You kids go ahead, I have to make a phone call before I get in there," Mom said, breaking the moment.

In silence, we walked to the school, but all I could think about was his wrists. All this time we had been together and I never noticed. Self-disappointment flooded through me, making a lump form in my throat. If I was a good girlfriend, I should have seen this.

"Please spit it out, Isla," Miles said as we walked towards the school.

"You did that to your wrists," I stated.

He clenched his jaw as if I insulted him. "I'm ok," he finally said.

I shook my head as I grabbed his hand, pushing back his sleeves to look at his wrists in detail. The nail cuts were scabbing, and the bruising was yellow. "This doesn't look ok."

Miles pulled back his hand as if I burnt him. "I'm just under a bit of stress. I'm handling it."

We walked into the school and suddenly, the privacy of the snowy parking lot vanished. The rest of this conversation would be had another time.

As we entered the gym, we found seats in lively atmosphere. It was buzzing with excitement as the crowd waited for the action to start. A pop song played over the speakers and within a minute, I realized it was one of Miles' songs.

My gaze shifted towards him, who stared at the gym floor. His eyes were distant. It was clear there was a lot on his mind.

I shouldn't have pushed him to talk about it so close to the school. I should have waited.

"Do you find it weird to hear your voice on the radio?" I asked.

He nodded as he pulled his beanie down to hide his dark blonde hair, concerned someone would notice. "I'm trying to get used to it," he said as Mom came and sat down next to us just as the music stopped, replaced by the voice of an announcer.

"Here's the cheer team!" the announcer said with excitement.

Instantly, Everly and her team came running into the gym.

She made eye contact with us with a large grin, which I returned.

Everly did a back handspring on the polished wooden gym floor, making the crowd roar with applause.

Within seconds, another song started and Everly led the team in a dance as the basketball players came out onto the floor.

The game started and Miles leaned forward in his seat as he watched the game play out. All signs of his distance vanished. It looked as if he enjoyed cheering for the team like a local.

"You like basketball?" I asked him as the game played onward.

He shook his head. "I don't know a thing about basketball, but I'm enjoying the moment," he said as our team scored a few points.

As the final buzzer rang, Mom stood up from her chair, pulling her phone out of her pocket again. "I'll meet you guys in the car. I have to take this. Why don't you meet Everly in the hall?"

I nodded as she left. "Should we wait then?" I asked Miles as others followed my mother's lead out of the gym.

"Let's." He stood up from his seat but quickly stumbled back into it. He glared at the ground as he hit his leg. "I'm fine," he muttered.

I knew it bothered him more than he would share. I also knew this wasn't the place to address it. Instead, I offered my hand which he took.

"Thanks."