Chapter 15: Want To Go Somewhere

"Hey, Isla, did you hear that?" Zoe asked as I sat down at my desk.

This entire day had been a haze for me. All I could think about was Miles, wondering if he was ok since he hadn't responded to any of my messages. By midday, he was the only thing on my mind, taking it over like a flood from a broken dam. Shook my head to clear it as I looked at Zoe. "What?"

"Isaac just called you a slut," Zoe said as she glared at Isaac from across the classroom.

I followed her gaze towards Isaac and frowned. He had hit a new low. The more I hung out with Miles, the more he tried to get under my skin. He wanted to cause a fight and I couldn't let him. He wanted a reaction from me, but he wouldn't. In silence, I buried my anger towards him, then turned back to my book.

"Aren't you going to do something?" Zoe whispered to me.

I shook my head. I was doing something. This would bother him more than reacting. "No," I said simply, knowing that if I fought him, I would get detention and that was not what I needed.

"Are you ok?"

I looked up at Zoe and forced a smile. No, I wasn't, Miles was in the hospital right after he kissed me. I was a mess of emotions so no, I wasn't ok. "Yes. Everything's fine. I just want this day to be over with."

By the end of the class, the teacher walked out again, and Isaac threw a wad of paper at me. The surrounding students laughed as I fished it out of my hair. I shot him a look as his friends continued to chuckle.

"Open it," Isaac said with a smile.

I shook my head, not willing to give him that pleasure. The bell rang, and I stood up, eager to leave. Thank goodness this was the last class of the day. Silently, I grabbed my bag and ran out of the room, knowing I just had to get out of there.

"Isla, wait up," Zoe said as she caught up to me.

"What?" I snapped at her, not wanting to wait a minute longer to see Miles.

She put her hand on my shoulder and spun me around. "Don't listen to Isaac. I think you are the only person who stood up to him and he can't stand it."

I chuckled lightly. I could care less about Isaac at this moment. Right now, I needed to get back to Miles, and that was my number one concern. "Thanks. I'll keep that in mind," I said to her as I tapped her shoulder then started walking towards the front doors of the school.

Zoe ran up to me again. She grabbed my arm to make me stop. I was about to sigh loudly until I saw her concerned look on her face. "Look, Isla, I'm warning you as a friend. I heard word that Isaac is trying a bigger move to put you in your place."

She thought this was the most serious thing, but she didn't know what trumped this. Miles was serious, his health was serious. This was just high school drama. I could deal with whatever Isaac could dish at me since I had in past weeks. "Thanks for the warning, Zoe," I said with a nod. "I'll keep an eye on him."

"So, what's the big rush? Are you going to see your new BFF?" she asked with a hint of jealousy in her voice.

I sighed as I brought her into a hug. "I hope you know no one could replace you, Zoe, as my best friend, remember that."

She nodded with a small smile.

"I'm going to see Miles. He's not feeling well and I'm planning to give him some soup."

"You're so kind! If I write him a get well note, can you give it to him?"

I nodded, although I wanted to frown. I had been waiting to see him all day long, and I didn't want to wait any longer. "Sure."