Chapter 11: Couldn't Help It

The Sharpie mark on my arm was an agonizing reminder of what I had to deal with today at school. I tried to wipe it off with no luck.

"Isaac's getting worse with you," Zoe stated as she drove into my driveway.

I wouldn't deny it, he was. But I wasn't sure how to make him stop since everyone liked Isaac. No one ever saw it when he did something wrong and if they did it would probably just get pushed under the rug by school leaders. Isaac was the king, and no one could take him from his throne.

"It's just marker," I said, trying to play it off. I was just glad it wasn't worse. At least he didn't jab me with a pencil, which I had seen happen to one of his teammates.

Zoe sighed. She knew it was more than just marker; this was an attack against me. "Want some company?" Zoe asked as she parked the car.

She knew I was upset with not just Isaac. But I knew she was busy tonight. "Nah, I'll see you tomorrow. Thanks for the ride." I got out of her car and walked into the empty house without looking back as she pulled out of the driveway. With Mom away on a business trip and Everly at a cheer practice, I was all alone in this house that closed in on me.

Tears welled up in my eyes as I dropped my books in the hall. The last time the house was empty was right after Dad died. Everyone was at the funeral home setting up, but I couldn't join them. The fear kept me here in silence. My heart raced in my chest as I remembered that day, the tears, the unsaid words, the regret. I should have been there; I should have helped set up.

Breathe.

With a deep breath, I let it out slowly then looked outside in our backyard at the basketball court that Dad made years ago. I couldn't stay in here and even though I wasn't a lover of basketball, today that place called me out. Without wasting a moment, I walked into the garage and pulled out a basketball, then ran to the back.

Without the house crushing my thoughts, the events of today flooded my mind. Isaac was starting a war with me that I couldn't win. No one had won a war with Isaac, and that fact terrified me more than I wanted to share. He could destroy what little I had left if I let him.

I threw a basketball at the hoop in anger, only to have it hit the metal pole and bounce back towards me. I shouted at the ball as if it would make it better.

My mind quickly changed topic to Tristen as I bounced the ball. For weeks, I had been waiting for Tristen to come back, my best friend. But he ditched me for a girl he had only been dating for two weeks. I was hurt, pissed, and upset all at once. I thought we were closer than this. "That tart will not last one month. But I'm here to stay. Can't he see that?" I shouted.

Just when I felt stable, everything stood on shaky ground. I was on the verge of an emotional breakdown as I looked at the hoop. I let out a choked breath. This wasn't what I signed up for. My tears stung as they ran down my face.

This was supposed to be Tristen's first full day back, and after not seeing him for two months, I was craving his company. I had his whole stay all planned; we would go out for ice cream tonight.

"Tristen, you prick," I shouted as I picked up the ball and threw it at the hoop again. This time it was nothing but net.

Hands clapping broke me from my thoughts. "Did you ever think about joining the ball league?" Miles asked with a smirk on his face.

I looked at him, worried about how much he heard. "I thought about it, but I decided I was too good for them," I said as I bounced the ball towards him.

He caught it. "Want to play a game of pig?"

Miles and I had no plans to hang out today. He was supposed to be writing new music or something. I wasn't sure he even knew I was upset until now, so it made me wonder what made him come. Regardless of that, I wanted him here with me for company and I welcomed the game to distract me. "Please."