24.

Chapter Soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzaOBg7qjAk

"That friggin' creep is definitely following us" growled Lear in Marben's ear one afternoon, during a walk in the park. They had just passed in front of Mister Hargreeves, who, seated on a bench and writing on his notebook with a shiny pen, was probably pretending to be there by chance. And brilliantly so, judging by the cordial smile and greeting the girls' teacher had offered him. "How the fuck is it possible that none of our imbecile teachers have noticed yet?".
Marben didn't know. Since the museum, Arsegreeves had showed up during one of her class' visits to the Library, and after his first appearance at rehearsal he had never missed a single one. She had began to feel heavily oppressed by his presence, and to worry; the watchful gaze of the old billionaire felt like a burden on her shoulders, even when she was far away from it.
"It's as if he knew what we found about him!" murmured Diana.
"The timing certainly is perfect" Marben acquiesced, keeping her head bowed. Out of nowhere, Myery's hand urgently grabbed hers, and the red-haired girl began to talk a mile a minute.
"What he's doing it's illegal! He gets a six-months prison sentence, if you manage to demonstrate to the court he's harassing you, and another five years if you request a restraining order and he violates it...".
"According to American law?" Marben replied shortly, unexpectedly, interrupting her; Myery gaped at her cousin for a moment, then guiltily closed her mouth.
"We're not in England, My".
"I...I can do some research...".
"Never mind. Even if I were to report, nobody would ever take me seriously". Feeling guilty for having been brusque, Marben squeezed Myery's hand tightly, stroking its thumb with hers. "He is a billionaire who has done a lot of charity around here, and I...I'm just a teenage nobody, far away from home. They would think I feel lost and homesick and then punish me for accusing an illustrious citizen".
To this, the girls dared not reply. Still, Lear chose to voice the doubt that was nagging at her.
"But...why do you all seem so sure the old maniac is following precisely Marben?".
The question surprised the other girls so much that they suddenly came to a halt, causing a small group of classmates to bump into them with a chorus of huffs and indignant exclamations, and several tire screeches and honks to be made resonate in the busy main street - they then realized they had stopped right in the middle of a pedestrian crossing. Apologizing profusely, the four girls hurried to reach the sidewalk without causing any more mayhem.
"See what happens when you're being dense?" said Diana to Lear, piqued. "Please refrain from doing it again". 
"Hang on, I just...".
"Cut the crap, you very well know why someone like Arsegreeves might be interested in her". 

By then, the group had reached the School's main gate: scattered there waiting to be able to enter, the girls' classmates gathered in small groups to chat and in the same way Marben and Myery turned to their friends. Lear kept looking from one to the other, trying to understand from their faces whether or not she had guessed the reason of the argument; when at last her gaze settled on Marben's face, she spoke in a vague, almost shy tone.
"Is it about...you know, that thing or...".
"We suspect it's about my nightmares" said Marben in a sweet tone which, however, betrayed an underlying bitterness.
"Ah, not what I thought, then! It's that other thing". Lear looked relieved for a moment, but then her face darkened. "'We'?" she repeated, looking at her three best friends in disbelief. "You've been talking about this without including me?".
"What? No!" Myery replied indignantly.
"No, Lear, it was just pretty obvious" intervened Diana, in a placating manner. "Come on, when did we ever cut you off? We're a team, the four of us!". To that, Lear seemed to finally calm down: discarding her usual animosity, she looked back at Marben.
"So...you're not angry because I'm seeing Vanya?".
"No, no...absolutely not".
"How did Arsegreeves find out?".
"I don't know", Marben said, and then thought 'But I have my suspicions'. Lear looked down and nodded, and after a moment looked up again.
"Did you tell Five?".