Chapter 7: Sunset Pt 2

Start from the beginning

"Hey, can I go back to the car?" I asked Mia suddenly. I just really couldn't take all of this lameness any longer.

She looked at me and I could tell that she was hurt. That's weird. She hadn't paid attention to me almost the entire time that we had been there, but now she was...hurt? That didn't make any sense, but I refused to just sit there any longer. 

"Yea.." she said slowly. She reached into her bottom pocket on the right side of her cargos and pulled out her keys. "Here," she said as she handed them to me. 

I took them and headed back to the car. There were a couple guys on the way that tried to talk to me, but I wasn't really in the mood. I politely told them to fuck off and continued towards the car. I hate when guys are all over me, it's completely annoying. 

I sat in the car for like maybe 30 minutes before Mia came back to the car. Tap, tap, tap. I smiled. She was adopting my taps. I looked up, and to my surprise, Mia was alone. I unlocked the doors, and she got in the car. She was smiling, but I was still confused. I thought Josh was coming with us?

"Josh isn't coming, his parents showed up." Mia told me. She was backing out the parking space when she added, "they won, though."

"Well that's good." I said. "But what are we gonna do now?" I asked looking at her with the question obviously in my eyes. 

She didn't answer me. Instead she drove around within the soccer fields. I expected us to leave but we ended up at a little cafe that I guess made sense to have for the spectators at the soccer games. It looked kinda of a starbucks, but not really that exclusive. It was petite, but just big enough.

"I figured we could get a snack or something," she told me. 

I didn't say anything, just followed her out of the car and into the cafe. To describe the inside, I'd have to say it was quaint and adorable looking. I don't know how else to. There were few tables, a couch or two, the area for the two baristas there, and some very large windows that looked out towards the fields.

"Hello welcome to Fuel Up!" the red-headed barista greeted the couple in front of us, "what would you ladies like today?" Her smile was kind of annoying, it was so easy to tell that it was fake. Whatever, I guess that's the life in customer service.

"What would you like Natalie?" Mia asked me in a whisper. 

"I don't know I've never been here." I whispered back, "I don't think I want anything."

"Right..." she said with a smirk on her lips. "What's your favorite kind of coffee?"

"Mia, I don't want anything." I told her, still in a whisper. Why are we whispering?

"Mhm"

The couple in front of us was taking there sweet time, I really didn't feel like standing in line for no reason. I wasn't even getting anything. I moved around uncomfortably, squirming from one foot to another. 

I guess Mia noticed because she asked me if I wanted to wait outside. 

"Yea, I'll be right out front waiting for you." 

I walked out and people watched for a while. There was this toddler playing with a puppy on the ground, it was probably one of the most adorable things I'd ever seen. The toddler waddled behind the dog while holding onto it's tail, and the dog made sure to go slow. The little boy's parents were filming the whole thing. 

"Look at him go!" a man who I assumed was his father said. "The puppy's actually teaching him how to walk!"

At that moment two things happened, the little boy fell and started to cry, while the puppy turned around and started licking him, and Mia came out side with a bag full of stuff and not one drink, but two. One for her...and one for me. This girl!

Mia just smiled at me and nodded her head in the direction of a clear soccer field and started walking away, obviously expecting me to follow. Of course, I did. 

Mia got to the field before me and sat down by one of the soccer goals - really awkwardly with all of the stuff in her hands - leaning her back against one of the posts. I sat down next to her and scowled at the bag she had. 

"I told you I didn't want anything." I grumbled.

"And I ignored that and assumed you really did want something," she said, smirking again, then added "obviously.."

She didn't see it coming, but I couldn't help myself..I punched her arm - hard. 

"Ow!" she yelled, grabbing her arm and looking at me with her eyebrows furrowed. 

Well that's what you get for assuming shit...asshole. 

I grabbed the bag still, and began to rummage through it. There were bagels, a muffin, and some wraps in there. It was kind of like a picnic. Cute. I grabbed the napkins out and laid them on the grass, then put the food down on top of them all spread out. 

"So I take it you're hungry now?" Mia asked me, raising an eyebrow, and showing off her dimple. "Not gonna hit me again for saying that are you?"

"No." I said shortly.

"Are you mad, that I got all of this stuff?"

"No." I said again shortly, but decided to give her a little more. "Not anymore."

"Okay, good" she said, eager to please. 

Neither of us spoke as we started to eat the bagels and stuff. I actually liked the drink she got for me. It was this strawberry smoothie. How she knew I liked strawberries I'll never know. Lucky guess.

"Hey look," she said finally breaking the silence, "the sun is setting."

I had noticed that the light was fading but I didn't expect for when I looked up to have such a beautiful sight before me. It was just as beautiful as the sunrise we'd watched that morning. I didn't notice that I was doing it, but before I knew it my head was once again on her shoulder. It just felt right. I don't know how to explain it. Not too soon after, her head was resting against mine. 

We sat like that for I don't know how long. Eventually the sun was gone, and we were heading back to the car. 

"I had a good time," I informed her. I was actually smiling, with a full broad smile. 

She was looking at me, just staring...again.

I raised an eyebrow and she looked away like she always does when she's blushing. "What?" I asked.

She didn't answer right away. It wasn't until we got into the car and she'd started driving that she said, "I just...think you're really beautiful." She wouldn't look at me, just looked straight ahead. "You're beyond that actually...and your smile..." she paused. We were at a redlight, so she finally looked over, "it's more beautiful than the sunrise...than the sunset...than the stars."

Then she looked away and didn't speak another word to me. 

I was too shocked to say anything at all in response. I wasn't shocked by the fact that this girl, who I'd already labeled as gay in my mind was calling me beautiful, lesbians called me beautiful all the time, but I was shocked because...because that made me feel better than any compliment ever has. I knew she was sincere. I knew I could trust that she wasn't just saying that. I knew that...this isn't bullshit to get in my pants. 

What was happening?

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Yup, that just happened. There ya go, something interesting happened! Sorry it took so long, I had to build it up...but it's not over yet. More surprises to come. :P

- August Kvng