The Departure - Wendy

I'm slightly annoyed at Joy. She made Irene leave. We were having a good time watching the movie but she came in and ruined it. I shut my laptop.

"What are you doing?" Joy asks.

"Shouldn't you be packing? You're leaving tomorrow, aren't you?" I say, sounding harsher than I intend to.

"Unnie, are you mad?" Joy sits up. "What did I do?"

"I'm not mad, you didn't do anything," I lie.

"Is it because Irene Unnie left?" she asks suddenly.

I freeze. I can't say that it is. She's going to suspect me. "No, like I said, I'm not mad. You didn't do anything. The movie was getting boring."

Joy gives me a look of disbelief and leaves the room. That was close, she almost saw right through me. I can't let that happen again.

It's okay though, I'll have the next few days to have Irene to myself. God, I need to stop talking about her like she's an object. She's not, she's human. One of the most perfect humans I've met. She's pretty, sweet, caring, everything.

I wonder what she thinks of me. Probably nothing close to what I think, she probably only thinks of me as a sister, and she probably thinks that I think of her as a sister, too.

It's one in the afternoon so I go downstairs to eat lunch. Yeri brought back some ramyun for us to eat from the Level Up staff. She heats mine up for me as I take a seat at the kitchen table.

"Thank you," I say as she hands me the ramyun.

"No problem, Unnie," she says, giving me a warm smile. She then leaves to go pack her things. I'm the only one downstairs until Seulgi decides she wants to eat.

"How are you feeling?" she asks, sitting down with her ramyun.

"I could be better," I say.

"Is something bothering you?" Seulgi takes a bite. "You've been really sensitive the past few days."

"No," I say. "I've been sensitive?"

"Yeah," she says. "You seemed kinda hostile to everyone but Irene."

I stop chewing my ramyun. Has it really been that obvious? "What?"

"Especially to Joy," Seulgi nods. "Are you sure you're okay?"

"Uh," I try and think of an excuse. What would make me moody? "I'm on my period."

Seulgi stares. "Oh-"

Why did I say that? What's wrong with me? It's a valid excuse, but my God. It could have been better.

"That explains a lot," she says. "Well."

"Sorry," I say. "That was weird."

"It's fine," she says. "It's not like we haven't spent six years of our lives together."

I laugh. "Are you finished packing?"

"Barely," Seulgi says. "Yeri and I keep getting distracted, I can't stay focused."

I smirk. "You and Yeri, eh?"

"You and Irene, eh?" she smiles.

I do smile although I'm wondering inside if she's right. I finish eating my ramyun and offer to help her pack.

"Yes, please," she says. "Keep Yerim busy, would you?"

"Giving me the hard task as always," I joke. She laughs. We both head to her room and Yeri is sitting on Seulgi's bed, scrolling through Instagram.

"Oh, hi Unnie," Yeri says.

"Which one are you talking to?" Seulgi asks.

"I'll never tell," Yeri smirks.

I join Yeri. "What are you doing? Are you looking through your own pictures?"

"Yes," Yeri says proudly. 

"Let's play that weird cooking game you're obsessed with," I say.

Yeri and Seulgi erupt into giggles as they remember the interview in Indonesia. "Ah, yes! The cooking game!"

Seulgi throws a sock at Yeri which she catches with ease. "Oh, nice catch," Yeri says.

They begin to laugh more. Yeri falls back and Seulgi lowers her head. I'm laughing too, but certainly not as much. "I'm just going to leave you two to do your own thing."

"No, you have to help me pack!" Seulgi says through tears.

"Are you crying?" I go over and give her a hug. 

Just then, there's a knock at the door. I lift my head from Seulgi's shoulder to see Irene. She sees me hugging Seulgi. She blinks and then looks at Yeri. "I got your lemon yogurt smoothie."

"I wanted taro," Yeri says as she gets up to take it.

"Isn't lemon yogurt smoothie your favourite?" Irene asks.

I chuckle. "She's not over that time where she tried to guess your order."

Yeri looks at me with confusion at first but then it all clicks. She erupts into laughter once more. "Oh, Unnie!" she slaps Irene's arm.

Irene smiles but she's looking at me, not Yeri. I let go of Seulgi since she stopped shaking. Seulgi wipes her tears and continues to pack. "You can go now, you don't have to help me pack."

"Don't worry, I will," I say. I look at Irene. She's just standing there, watching me. I give her a smile and she looks away. Did I do something?

"Wendy?" Seulgi says. "Are you going to help me?"

I turn and face Seulgi. "Yeah, sorry."

"Unnie, what are you just standing there for?" Yeri asks Irene.

"I-" Irene begins. "I don't know." She walks away. 

Yeri turns to me. "She was looking at you the entire time, what did you do?"

"I don't know?" I say. 

"Whatever, help me pack!" Seulgi says for the fifth time.

"Sorry," I giggle as I fold her clothes.

***

It's the next day and we're all up early in the morning to say goodbye to Yeri, Seulgi, and Joy. Irene and I stand in the back while they have their suitcases at the door. The staff member is here, he's just helping himself to a quick breakfast.

He finished quickly and opens the door. "Come on."

"Have fun," I say, hugging each of them. 

"I'll do what you did for me," Joy says. "I'll find two dolls and name them Wendy and Irene."

I smile. "Thanks."

"Have a good trip," Irene says, waving slowly. 

Part of me is sad they're leaving so soon yet the other half is thrilled to spend the next few days with Irene.