The Trip - Irene

After I shower, I go back into my room. I really want to spend time with Wendy but part of me is telling me not to after what happened earlier this morning.

I swear, if Joy hadn't called me down I would have kissed her. The thought fills me with happiness that makes my stomach do cartwheels. Our next performance is going to be in a few months so Wendy can get started up again.

In the meantime, our fans still want content, so another season of Level Up Project is going to be filmed. Someone is going to come today to collect us and bring us to the normal meeting spot.

I go downstairs and join everyone else at the kitchen table. We're all waiting. I'm sitting across Wendy and I'm finding hard not to keep looking at her. A slight smile stretches across my face as my eyes meet hers.

Suddenly then, there's a knock at the door. Seulgi opens it and we all welcome the staff member in.

"I have bad news," he says. "Only three of you will be attending this season. Your supervisor insists that Wendy stays to get better and one of you needs to look after her."

"Why don't we just not go, then?" Joy proposes.

The staff member shakes his head. "The fans want content. There were a few people outside the SM headquarters today, so we're going to give them what they want. Would any of you like to volunteer to stay? Otherwise, we'll have to play a game to find out."

"I'll stay," I unknowingly say. Everyone turns to me.

"Irene?" Yeri says. "Really? But you love Level Up Project."

"I'm tired these days," I lie. "I've been wanting some time to rest."

"Are you sure?" Joy asks. "I can stay with Wendy-"

"No," I cut her off. "You already missed one season, don't miss another."

"Are you three ready to see the producers?" the staff member says, walking towards the door. 

"I guess," Seulgi says. They all follow the staff member outside and the door shuts. They'll be back later to pack their bags.

"You didn't have to-" 

"It's okay," I say, looking at Wendy. "Like I said, I'm tired these days."

Wendy gives me a soft smile. "Thanks."

I smile back at her. It's going to be just us for the next few days. Is this really what I wanted? I'm so awkward around her. I wasn't like that before. I was so confident with everything I did, even if people were watching us, but now I'm a wreck even when we're alone.

"Do you want to watch a movie with me?" Wendy asks, looking away.

"Sure," I say. "What movie?"

"It's a classic movie," she says. "It's about star-crossed lovers."

"Sounds interesting," I say. "What's it called?"

"Titanic," she says.

I smile. I've seen it once. "How could I pass on that?"

"I don't know if we have the Korean dub," she frowns. "Is it okay if it's in English? There will be subtitles."

I nod. "Of course. Here, or upstairs?"

"It's on my laptop," she says, getting up. "But if you'd rather watch it down here-"

"No, that's okay," I get up as well and take hold of her arm. "I'll help you upstairs."

My hand trails down her arm until it reaches her hand, where she interlocks fingers with me in less than a second. I can feel my heart beating through my chest as I help her up the stairs. I help her get onto the bed and I lie down next to her as she opens her laptop.

She goes into her files and clicks on Titanic. Korean subtitles appear for me to read while the movie plays in English. "Wait," I say. "Don't play it yet."

I run downstairs and take some popcorn out of our cabinets. I heat it up and go back upstairs, returning to my position next to her. I lie my head on her shoulder as I put the bowl of popcorn in the middle of us. 

Wendy presses play as she reaches for popcorn. I reach at the same time and our hands brush. She giggles as I move my hand out of the way so she can take her handful. I take mine afterwards.

***

Yeri, Seulgi, and Joy arrive back at the house. Joy opens the door to Wendy's room without knocking and walks in. "What are you watching?"

"Titanic," I say.

"Ooh, I love that movie!" Joy says. "Scoot over, will you?"

"Me?" I say, stuttering.

"Yeah," Joy says.

Wendy looks at me as I lift my head and scooch to the side. Joy stares and sits in the middle. "You could've just moved so there was more space on the edge, but all right."

Damn. She's right. I'm such an idiot. "Where are you going?"

"South Africa," Joy says. "We obviously have no clue what we're doing, but I heard South Africa is fun."

"Are you going to be an African model this time?" Wendy asks. Joy snickers, "Yes, I am."

They begin to talk so much, and Joy keeps moving her head, I can barely read the subtitles. I'm sick of this. I get up. "I'm going to go downstairs."

"Why?" Wendy asks. "Do you want me to bring this downstairs? We can all watch."

"No, it's okay," I say. "Spend time with Joy. They're leaving tomorrow anyway."

I leave the room with jealousy all over my face.