The Stream - Irene

That was embarrassing. I leave Wendy's room and go back to my own after watching a compilation of- I don't even know what. All I know is that it had to do with our fans thinking we'd make a good couple.

I can't blame them, I can see it. What am I saying? No, I can't. I'm not in love with Wendy. If there's any love I feel for her it's sisterly love. That's a thing, right?

Whatever. I lie down on my bed with my arms stretched. I can't stop thinking about her. 

"God, I need to stop," I say to myself. "I need to go to sleep."

I change my clothes and go underneath the blanket and turn off the lamp, closing my eyes, trying not to think of Wendy.

***

When I wake up, I can already hear chatter coming from downstairs. I check the time on my phone. It's 11:30, I guess it's pretty late. I make my way to the bathroom and brush my teeth, heading downstairs still in my pajamas.

"Irene!" Seulgi says. "Finally, we were waiting for you!"

I look at her and yawn. "What?"

"We're doing a stream to celebrate Wendy coming out of the hospital," Joy explains. "We were waiting for you. Now hurry up and eat your pancakes."

I grab a seat next to Wendy. Unintentionally. Joy slides me a plate. I take a bit and nod, "These are good."

"I know," Joy says. "I made them."

I can't help but smile at her. I swear I see Wendy flinch in the background. I'm not done when Joy pulls out her phone to start the stream. "I'm not done!" I say.

"It's okay, you're pretty when you eat," Joy says. I see Wendy flinch again. Joy opens Instagram and begins a livestream, turning the camera away from Wendy and me. 

"Hey luvies!" Joy says. 

"Hi everyone," Seulgi says.

"Hi, I'm Yeri," Yeri says.

I snicker. "They know who you are."

Yeri looks at the camera. "Really? Thank you!"

I see Wendy open her mouth to laugh but I cover it with my hand. They'll recognize the laugh and the surprise will be given away. I remove my hand from her mouth and put a finger to my lips.

"Irene, get over here," Seulgi says. I shove the last bit of pancake in my mouth and run over to her. 

"Hi everyone!" I cover my mouth while speaking.

"We have a surprise for you guys," Yeri steals the phone from Joy. "Very fun surprise!" She then walks over to Wendy and flips the camera. "It's Wendy!"

I go back over to Wendy and put my hands on her head as I look at the camera. The comments are going crazy. Wendy takes the phone. "Let's go to the couch, there's more room."

Wendy, Yeri, Seulgi, and Joy head to the couch while I put my dish in the sink. As I make my way to the couch, the spot next to Wendy is taken by Joy. She looks at me for a reaction again. I have to contain myself.

Wendy looks at Joy. "Unnie was going to sit there."

"No, it's okay," I say. "I wasn't going to sit there."

"Really?" Wendy looks at me. "Oh." I can sense the sadness through her voice. I don't know why she's sad. She does like sitting next to me, that I know, but she seemed actually disappointed this time.

I take a seat next to Yeri. Wendy puts Joy's phone on the table in front of us so we can all be seen. "My gosh, you guys are so sweet," Wendy says.

I can barely read any of the comments but Wendy's answering lots of questions. After a while, Joy takes the phone back. "Okay, since Wendy is the main focus of this stream, I'm going to let her take this so she can go answer your questions alone."

She hands the phone to Wendy and turns on the TV. Wendy gets up to go upstairs but she stops. "Unnie, do you want to come?"

I look at her. "What?"

"Do you want to come with me?" she repeats.

"Uh, sure," I say, getting up. "Why?"

"I need you to hold the phone," she says while grabbing her crutches. 

Part of me is relieved and part of me is disappointed. She just wanted me to hold the phone while she went upstairs, nothing more. I help her upstairs and into her room. When I hand the phone to her, I join her on the bed instead of leaving.

"You can go back downstairs and join them," Wendy says. 

"No, I'll stay up here," I say. "It'll be so awkward hearing you talk to yourself from downstairs. At least if I'm here it'll sound like we're having a conversation."

I almost laugh. What a lame excuse. Wendy seems to believe it, though, because she nods and looks back at the phone. The comments are flooded with "#WENRENE." 

"Uh, do you guys have any questions?" Wendy says. "I could give a little peek of our new album," she looks at me for permission and I nod, "As long as it's little."

The comments then change, begging for Wendy do to the little snippet. Wendy sings the first five notes of the song. I smile. Her voice is so unique, it really makes me feel nice and calm. 

"You're good at singing," I say.

"You've told me that about a hundred times," she says.

"Then I haven't said it enough," I smile. She's so beautiful.

We lock eye contact for a few seconds before Wendy looks back at the screen. "Well, there really isn't much to say, so I'm going to end the stream. Bye, everybody!"

"Bye," I say as she tilts the screen at me.

Wendy lies down and I lie down too. I look at her and she looks at me. I smile and she smiles.

"What?" she laughs.

"You're just-"

"Irene, come down! We need to get to an interview!" Joy says

I sit up. God, I forgot we had an interview. I mutter a goodbye to Wendy without looking at her and rush downstairs. I let my feelings get the better of me. I can't let that happen again.