chapter forty four

"Are we allowed to see Sasuke?"

You and Itachi stand outside Sasuke's room yet again, but this time, you wait for clearance from the staff just in case he goes haywire again. The nurse, a young blonde in her twenties, nods.

"Yes. Thanks to that medical kunoichi from the Leaf, he's now fully functioning," she says with admiration in her voice. You grin a little.

Huh. So I guess Sakura really is the second Tsunade.

"Come on," says Itachi, softly nudging you forward and out of your thoughts.

"Huh? Oh, yeah, course."

Taking a deep breath, you reach out and slowly push the door open, feeling as if Sasuke's gonna leap at you again. You're greeted by the sight of him lying in bed, scowling while an ever optimistic Naruto holds an orange book in his hand and yammers on about something or the other.

"Ah! [Name]-chan!" he grins, casually hiding the book as his face goes a slight pink. You roll your eyes and saunter over to Sasuke.

"Do I even want to know?" you ask him, sitting on the free chair on his left. He doesn't reply, and you look up to see him staring at you blankly. You sigh and wave a hand in front of his face.

"Earth to Sasuke?"

He's silent as he continues staring at you. You frown as Itachi takes a seat next to Naruto, peering at the book he's hidden. They completely ignore you and Sasuke while whispering under their breaths about said book.

"Sasuke?"

Your voice is low and desperate now: your best friend can't just give you "that look" and not say anything. Just- no. Thoughts and visions are flashing through Sasuke's mind, though you wouldn't know. Flashbacks and memories of pain and torture- all of them linked to you. He blinks as he tries to remember why the two of you were so close in the first place.

"Sasuke?"

She loves someone else.

"Sasuke?"

She loves Itachi now.

You look upon your best friends face, frantically willing him for a response. He blinks at you.

"[Name]?"

A wave of relief washes over you as he says your name, but you can't help but feel that you're not entirely out of the clear just yet.

"Sasuke," you breathe, leaning forward and hugging the raven haired Uchiha. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

He frowns as you hold on to him, tight and relentless, refusing to let go.

"I'm sorry," you repeat, closing your eyes and laying your head on his chest. "You can hate me all you want, but that won't change how sorry I am."

He blinks yet again, trying to find the right words to say. Where could he start? "Is sending me to hospital the thanks I get for saving your life?" or "You hurt me?" are the two main questions floating around his mind.

"I know, I was stupid, I know, I got carried away, I know, you saved my life, I know, and I'm sorry," you say, emphasising your apology yet again. The Uchiha is silent, and his brother and friend continue their snickering and whispers from the other side of his bed.

"You're back with Itachi, huh?" he croaks, noting how you and said crow had entered the room together. You sit up and give him a small nod.

"Looks like listening to you really paid off this time, huh?" you say with a smile. Sasuke frowns and looks away, making your smile drop from your face.