chapter thirty one

Flashbacks ooo

"(Name), honey, you'll be fine, okay?"

Your lip trembled as you sat beside your mother's bed, clutching her frail hand. Already the blood was drained from her face, and her smile was weak as she encouraged you to be strong. Her raven black hair fanned out across her pillow as she looked up at you, eyes full of love and care for her one and only child.

"B-But mummy! Wh-why are you giving me your e-eyes?" you wailed, bursting into tears. The prospect of your mother having her eyes removed and put in place of yours made you very agitated, as any seven year old child would be.

"Because," she said softly. "You know mummy won't be around for long. And when I'm gone, I'll still be able to see the world through you."

You cried even louder as your mother tried her best to subdue your tears.

"B-But what will happen to my eyes?" you cried. Your mother smiled gently at you.

"They'll be put in a safe place, sweetie. Trust me."

timeskip

"We must hurry! Quickly, bring the Princess in, we must begin immediately!"

You felt your sedated self being rushed in your bed to an operating room, where your mother's eye waited to be transplanted into your socket. The atmosphere around you was tense; you felt a great upset in the air, which made you very worried.

"What's... going on...?" you murmured to no one in particular as your bed came to a halt.

"Just hang in there, Princess! We'll get this done in no time!"

after the operation

"Not bad, huh?"

You sat in your bed with your newly operated eye bandaged over, while your older twin half siblings Kaminari and Inazuma visited you.

"You'll be fine," said Kaminari reassuringly, leaning forward and brushing your hair out of your face. You huffed. Inazuma beamed from behind his sister.

"One down, one to go!" he said cheerfully, making Kaminari scowl and elbow him.

"Just because we've gotten one down doesn't mean we're entirely in the clear!" she said, scolding her brother for his rash reaction. You grinned up at your half siblings.

"It's okay," you said softly. "Everything will be fine. Mummy promised me herself."

sometime later

"(NAME)!" screamed Kaminari as a rebel shinobi ran for you. You, your siblings, and your parents were fleeing from the palace when rebel shinobi stopped the five of you midway through the back forest. Your father carried your still fragile mother, while the twins took their stand and pulled out kunai, ready to protect their family.

Before the shinobi could get to you, though, Inazuma managed to lodge a kunai in the back of his neck, causing him to fall to the ground. You ran over to your mother and father as the twins stood in front of you, shielding you from the enemy attack.

"Dad, take mum and (name)! We've got this!" yelled Kaminari over her shoulder as she and Inazuma faced was seemed to be countless rebels.

Your weak mother pried herself away from her father, heavily breathing. Her face was sullen and ashen; there were dark circles under her lone visible eye. She looked like death itself, but that didn't stop her from taking her place beside her two step children.

"Mum! You have to go, now!" screamed Kaminari as the enemy shinobi began their attack, naturally targeting the weakest link.

Your mother turned around and faced you, smiling softly.

"Let me see the world through your eyes, (name)."

The remnants of the Hayate clan took their final stand as your father joined his wife's side.

"We've got this, (name)," he said softly, looking at you with kind eyes. His eyes, however kind they may have been, could not disguise the lie that he was telling you, the desperation to keep his children and family safe fading into hopelessness.

You watched on as the battle raged on.

Your family put up a good fight.

But not good enough.

One by one, you watched them go down one by one, frozen to the spot and unable to breathe. As time passed, your hatred, anger, and sorrow also grew.

​Your mother, even though she was the frailest and most likely to have gone down first, was the last one standing. The sight of your siblings and father slowly dying before your eyes was almost unbearable: but you still had hope somewhere, stored deep in your heart, hoping for a better outcome.

There was a loud noise as two enemy shinobi attacked her with their kunai, impaling her on both sides.

You couldn't help but watch as your mother fell, her lips uttering her final words.

"I love you, (name)."