chapter sixteen

You get home from your fifth dinner at Fugaku's house, and head straight for your room. Huffing, you begin to take off your yukata, still slightly disappointed that Itachi had failed to turn up for the second night in a row. Today, the special guest had been Yashiro, who'd turned up with his wife Yumi and their three kids, Rin, Akari and Hikaru, aged twelve, ten and seven. Sasuke sat in Itachi's designated seat, and you couldn't help but grin at your best friend throughout the meal.

Once you've changed into your pajamas, you unroll one of the four scrolls Yashiro had gifted upon you. Reading it, you see it's like an instruction manual on different kenjutsu techniques. You frown, but take a look at it anyway. When you're done, you go through the remaining three scrolls. Each of them are all based on different advanced type jutsu that you'd rarely heard of: Vapour Style, Storm Style, and Inferno Style. You smirk a little for no reason whatsoever, then put all the scrolls aside and lay back in bed.

You begin to think about life. Cheesy, yeah, but it's late at night and you're all alone. What else is there for a girl to do?

Yawning, you feel your eyes begin to drift to sleep who knows how long later, and as you do, you think you see a face, but shrug it off and close your eyes.

"..."

The next morning, you feel oddly warm and secure, but don't make much fuss about it. Besides, it felt good to feel like this in the morning, so you just curl up into a little ball. You feel someone with their arms wrapped around you, and turn so you're lying facing them and subconsciously snuggle into their chest, smiling. Their arms tighten around you, and it's then that your eyes shoot open.

Wait. What.

"AHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

Without any hesitation, you've unlocked yourself from the intruders grip and swung yourself over so that you're straddling them, holding their shirt in your hands. Glaring, you recognise the smirking face below you, and gape.

"Wha... what the fuck, man?" you splutter, sitting on top of a very smarmy looking Itachi. He grins up at you.

"I missed you," he says softly. You flush a little, and roll off of him back into bed, lying on your back. He turns over so that he's facing you side wards and puts his arms around you yet again. You don't bother shrugging him off, making him smirk even more.

She finally understands.

"When did you get back?" you ask, feeling your face begin to burn red as Itachi snuggles his face into the crook of your neck, inhaling your scent. You wince, but don't move. Okay, maybe Sasuke was right. Itachi is a terribly forward man when it comes to romance.

"Mmm, late last night, early this morning, you take your pick," he purrs, closing his eyes. You bite your lip and debate on whether or not you should tell him you're feeling uncomfortable. You think of Sasuke, and instantly shake him out of your mind.

No. Focus on Itachi.

You relax a bit, and Itachi senses it, making him smirk yet again. He knew he was beginning to win you over, and there was no mistaking that.

"And you decided to crash at my place, all filthy and tired from your mission," you say, rolling your eyes. He chuckles softly and begins playing with your hair, making you shudder at his touch.

"As a matter of fact, I actually stopped by my place and picked up some clothes before coming here to shower," he says. "Hope you don't mind."

You sweatdrop.

I HAVE UNDERWEAR HANGING IN THERE YOU LITTLE-

"Not- not at all," you say in an unusually small voice. Itachi grins at your tone.

"Why is the great and almighty (name) Uchiha so quiet this morning, huh? Cat got your tongue?" he teases, poking you on the nose. You grimace and turn your head away, making him pout.

"You're so not cool, Itachi," you say with an eye roll. He snickers and raises himself so that he's on top of you, and grins down at your now maroon tinged face.

"'Cool' is not what I'm aiming for," he says, a gleam in his eye. You pull the front of his shirt with the intention of making him lie back down, but instead, he takes it as a cue to lay his body on top of you and lock your lips with his in a deep, passionate kiss. You choke and gawp at him with a "WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?!" look plastered across your bright red face. His lips are pretty soft, though, you had to give him that. He pulls away from you, fake pouting.

"What's wrong?" he says, putting his forehead against yours. A million thoughts come screaming into your mind.

Um, maybe the fact that you invaded my personal space, spent the night at my house, kissed me first thing in the morning and expected me to kiss you back without even an explanation for anything that's going on-?!

You blush and avert your gaze from his. He sure wasn't the quiet, gentle Itachi you grew up knowing.

He seems to read your thoughts, and takes his place on the mattress at your side, smirking with his hands behind his head.

"Tonight's gonna be exciting," he says, staring up at the ceiling. You wrap the blankets closer around you, looking at the elder Uchiha.

"The final night before the big bash! Aren't you excited?" he continues, looking at you. "Shisui's coming over tonight, and since I know my best friend, I can tell you that he'll have one of the best gifts so far."

"Why is there so much fuss over my birthday?" you blurt out, making Itachi raise an eyebrow. "I mean... I'm not being ungrateful or anything, but I just find it really unnecessary and highly unfair to everyone that such a big deal is being made out of a measly birthday for someone who's not even an actual member of the clan! Like, come on! Can you imagine how some of the other clan members might be feeling? "Hey, that outsider's having a big birthday thrown for her tomorrow, even though she's not a true Uchiha" or, "Why the hell are Mikoto and Fugaku putting so much effort into that girl?" Like, come on Itachi, seriously. Do you get where I'm coming from? It's all this unnecessary work and stress for everyone and I just- ugh."

As you end your sentence, a dark look makes its way onto Itachi's face, and he scowls. You wince, taken aback at his reaction.

"Did I say... something wrong?" you ask in a small voice.

"You listen to me, (name) and you listen good. No matter what anyone says, even yourself, you are undoubtedly an Uchiha by blood, mind, body and spirit. You became an Uchiha when you mastered the Fireball Jutsu and shocked the living daylights out of everyone, doing the impossible. You became an Uchiha when you grew up beside Sasuke and I, constantly challenging us with your knuckleheadedness and recklessness. You became an Uchiha when you graduated from the Academy when you were only eight years old, proving your worth to the rest of the clan."

"You became an Uchiha as soon as you stepped into our house and spent the first couple of weeks with us until we could get your own living arrangements sorted. You became an Uchiha as soon as my father willingly took you into his care, rather than let you live the rest of your life alone and isolated. You became an Uchiha as soon as you stepped into our goddamned village."

He's now looking at you with a ferocious look in his eye, making you shrink in fear.

"You know what, (name)? As a baby, you may have been born under the name of a different clan, but there's no doubting the fact that, the day you were born, you were born an Uchiha."

You're at a loss for words at his sudden rant, gawping. He sighs and closes his eyes.

"You are an Uchiha, (name), and I won't take anything from anyone who says otherwise."