chapter twenty two

"Someone's not a very happy camper."

Itachi stands in the doorway of your bedroom as you finish up packing your backpack. Having always been one to travel lightly, you had a hard time deciding on what to take and what to leave. Your newly received shuriken, kunai, and katana were all a must bring, as well as a few changes of clothes. The weapons were no problem, as you could easily slip the shuriken and kunai into your pouch and sling the katana into the obi of your black dress. You frown as you decide to shove the scrolls from Yashiro into the backpack at the last minute, then straighten up and face Itachi.

"Ready when you are."

He chuckles as you pick up the medium sized backpack and sling it onto your shoulders, blowing your fringe out of your face. You're wearing your headband the way you usually do, covering your weird eye, much to Itachi's dislike.

"Guess what?"

You approach him, sighing. You're still irritated at the fact that you'd now have to endure the rest of the month without doing any proper missions, and Itachi full well knew of how you're feeling.

"What?" you sigh. He steps out of your way, and you see Sasuke standing behind him, grinning.

"I don't get it," you say flatly. Sasuke frowns, and Itachi chuckles.

"It's a group trip! You, me, and Sasuke! We're all going on vacation!"

You squint at Sasuke, and realise that he too is wearing a backpack. You manage a little smile, still wishing you could stay behind and do your duties as a kunoichi of the Hidden Leaf. The word "holiday" did not exist in your vocabulary, and as far as you were concerned, neither was "vacation."

"Great!" you manage to say with a little bit of enthusiasm. The brothers return your grin, and let you walk out of the room.

"You go ahead, I've got to speak to Sasuke!" calls Itachi to your retreating back. You wave a hand over your shoulder, signalling to him that you couldn't care less. As soon as you're out of sight, he rounds on his brother.

"Sasuke, this is a mission," he says flatly, much to the younger Uchiha's surprise.

"What?"

Itachi sighs.

"(Name) is... special," he says slowly, choosing his words carefully. "For starters..."

Sasuke raises an eyebrow.

"... Her mother was an Uchiha."