Chapter 9:"That SLEAZE!"

I took Levi by the arm as we all walked back out to the terrace. He sat down as we started to explain. We all took turns, cutting into each others stories to make sure he was getting every detail. When we were finished explaining, he was horrified. His tan skin turned pale as a sheet.

"That's what Mom and Dad were talking about when they said they needed to speak with me tomorrow. So, when I walked in with Vanessa hanging all over me...?" he asked hesitantly.

"You automatically gave her a huge leg up in the competition." Katie answered.

"And successfully managed to activate my gag reflex!" said Cassie, as she plopped down next to where Blake was sitting on the bench across from Levi.

"Actually, I have a question about Vanessa..." I said, finally speaking up about her, "why did you walk in with her?"

"She came to my room, told me something really tragic happened in her family, and that she wanted to just tell me about it on the way to the ball. Blake told me to just go on ahead with her and that he'd catch up. Of course, the minute we got to the doors, she told me she'd just made it all up and just wanted to see me again. That's when we walked in the room." As he was talking, Blake nodded along, confirming everything was true. Not that I needed it, I completely trusted him.

"So, she didn't say anything about 'The Competition'?" I asked, sitting down next to Levi.

"No, nothing at all." Levi said, putting a hand on my knee, and looking into my eyes, "I had no idea anything like this was even possible."

"That SLEAZE!", Cassie yelled out of nowhere, standing up abruptly, "SHE MANIPULATED THE WHOLE THING."

Cas stood up and began to pace the length of the terrace, champagne flying out of her glass as she waved her arms in the air.

"OF COURSE SHE WOULDN'T TELL YOU ANYTHING. SHE WANTED EVERYONE TO THINK YOU WERE INTO HER. THAT'S WHY SHE TRICKED YOU INTO WALKING IN WITH HER." Cassie was livid, there was practically steam coming out of her ears, and honestly, I was right there with her.

"It does make sense", Katie said, standing up to refill her sisters glass with the bottle of Dom she'd picked up from a waitress. "Vanessa must have known that the judges were going to start observing the contestants tonight. I'm sure Mom let it slip to her parents that they were starting early so Vanessa could be prepared. You know she wants her to win."

"Okay, it's fine! We can just fix this! I'll tell Mom and Dad that I don't want anything to do with the competition, that Liv is my girlfriend, and that's final." Levi said. He sounded so confident that I almost started to believe that could happen. I wanted to believe him, anyway. Truly, I think that even he knew what had to REALLY happen.

"No." 

All eyes shot towards me.

"No, you aren't going to do that."

Levi started to argue.

"Nope. You listen. I've been here in your parent's house without you for two days having to deal with this mess. We're going to do this my way. We all know that your mother and this High Society will NEVER accept me as part of the family, if I don't win. So we're going to play the game, and I'm going to win."

I really hope that I sounded more confident than I felt.

I must've, because everyone stayed absolutely silent.

Finally, Cassie cracked a smile.

"Well, alright then, Miss. Georgia. I'm glad you're on board. I can't WAIT to watch Vanessa cry when she loses" She said, throwing her arms around me. 

Soon, everyone joined in. One big group hug. 

I finally feel like I have a family.

Just one more thing to add to the list of cons about this competition.

If I lose, I fear I'll lose them too.

Katie broke up the sweet moment, "Levi. When you talk to Mom and Dad tomorrow, you have to pretend like you don't know anything, and that you're onboard with this whole competition thing."

"Why?"

"So Mom doesn't expect foul play. She isn't dumb. She'll figure out pretty quickly that we want Olivia to win. The more separated you are from her, the better it will be." Katie answered.

"So that means- no hugs, no flirting, no kissing up on each other, and you have to stay in separate rooms. You are strangers. As far as you know, she's Cass' friend. It has to be this way until Mom sees you two grow closer through 'The Competition'. Otherwise, we can kiss the win goodbye."

.......................

The rest of the night whizzed by in the blink of an eye. 

Katie walked me around the room and introduced me to everyone at the ball. I tried to remember all of their names, but after the 13th short, bald guy... they all start to blur together.

Cassie and Blake served as the comedic relief- drinking enough for all of us.

As annoying as it was, Levi did his best to keep his distance from me, as much as he could.  We had to be extra careful to act like we were strangers. How do I act like I don't know the man that I'm in love with?

The ball officially ended at 2 a.m., but the afterparty went on well into the morning.  We weren't crawling back into Cassie's bed until well after 6:30 a.m.

These rich folk can PARTY, I'll give 'em that. 

Competing for His HeartOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara